TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side door is sagging again. I replaced the hobg pins twice already. This last time the brass bushings fit in very loose. They have already warn out. Is there a hing pin kit out there with a larger OD bushing? I think the holes in the hinges are worn larger. Is there an option other than replacing the hinges?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My drivers side door is sagging again. I replaced the hobg pins twice already. This last time the brass bushings fit in very loose. They have already warn out. Is there a hing pin kit out there with a larger OD bushing? I think the holes in the hinges are worn larger. Is there an option other than replacing the hinges?
You could weld in some filler in the widening holes, then drill it to spec.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I had one of the holes partially filled, then ground that part back out with a dremel until the bushing fit in.

I don't see how you could re-drill that, unless you really clamp it down in a drill press. The drill bit will jump into the center of whatever hole is left. I would not fill the whole thing, just the egged out part. Even the small amount of welding I had done made those rubber bushings hard as a rock.

Al

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Replace them with what? Junkyard hinges?

Al

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace them with what? Junkyard hinges?

Al
That's my thing too... These cars are like 20 years old, if my hinges are this worn, there's not a good chance I'll find some junk yard ones that are not worn.
I like the welding idea, I don't have a welder nor the welding skills.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There has got to be a welding shop near you, look in the yellow pages. Not sure where in NC you are, but Sapp's welding in Garner did mine. It is near Raleigh.

Al

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Could just replace the hinges.
That's what I was thinking too.. :zdunno:

Hell, you could even use some hinges out of the junkyard..

It's not like you wouldn't be able to tell, if they were bad..
Most of the time, when the hinges are shot you can't even close the door without lifting up on it as you close it..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Judging by how mine was, I get the impression only the bottom one eggs out, from the weight of the door. Just as well as the top one seems like a disaster to R&R. I imagine the bottom one is no prize either.

Al

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There has got to be a welding shop near you, look in the yellow pages. Not sure where in NC you are, but Sapp's welding in Garner did mine. It is near Raleigh.

Al
I'm in Fuquay now, so Garner is right up the road. I'll check them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
How long did your replacement pins last? Mine are getting to the point of needing to be replaced, but for the 1st so maybe no wobbled out hole to deal with this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
The Dorman kit has bigger OD bushings than factory, which is why you have to drill the hinges out with a 15/32" drill bit. (Note the size - almost none of the how-to's tell you that!)

But they're Dorman, so ...

RwP

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I am glad someone asked about this topic. Both my doors sag, not bad, but they have to be closed with some force and that will damage other things soon enough also. Replacement hinges look expensive.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I am glad someone asked about this topic. Both my doors sag, not bad, but they have to be closed with some force and that will damage other things soon enough also. Replacement hinges look expensive.
If they sag at all, replace the pins with the Dorman kit. It is possible for the metal around the door striker to crack, that would not be good.

I would not buy new hinges. I am sure the bottom one is no prize, but you have to remove the dash to replace the upper one! Then there is the adjustment aspect of the job.

Al

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
I just did my driver's side hinges (repin and rebush); I'll probably need to replace the lower hinge anyway, I waited too long and the hole's oblong now.

RwP

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Mine was oblong too, that's where the welding comes in. Grinding the weld back out with a Dremel is tedious. Can't fit any bits from a die grinder down in there.

Al

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How long did your replacement pins last? Mine are getting to the point of needing to be replaced, but for the 1st so maybe no wobbled out hole to deal with this time.
Sorry for the delay, your question got lost in the shuffle. The first replacement lasted a few years, but this last time only lasted a few months.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's my thing too... These cars are like 20 years old, if my hinges are this worn, there's not a good chance I'll find some junk yard ones that are not worn.
I like the welding idea, I don't have a welder nor the welding skills.
How about using Steel Putty? I haven't used it for your application, but everything I've done with it was entirely satisfactory. Steel putty - Manufacturers of Steel putty # Steel putty Suppliers # Steel putty Distributors & Exporters, Monarch Industrial Products, India, Tamil Nadu, Theni

1 - 20 of 20 Posts