TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been going on for a while on how to do that and that it is a common problem with our cars.....i was looking and searching and saw that alot of times ppl take off the huinge from the car itself......

now i saw 2 bolts from the hinge into the door on both hinges.
can;t i just mark the hunges, unbolt the bolts going into the door....
cut through the bottom pin and take out bushing and replace them then bolt the door back onto the hinges?

i saw huge writeups on this but isn;t it as simple as that?

Dean

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
No its simpler. Cost me 50 bucks to have the door fixed at a body shop. They simply replaced the pins in the hinges, and realigned the door. A lot easier than doing it myself, and a lot cheaper than the $500 the Ford stealership quoted for replacing the hinges.

Of course if you like lifting and holding VERY heavy doors while you loosen/tighten hinges then you could do it yourself and only be out what the hinge pins cost. (just a few bucks at an auto parts store).

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for the quick reply and that's what i thought it was that simple....i got a brother than can help so it's ok....rather learn and do it myself anyways...

as for the striker pin...i loosened it but then realized i didn;t know how it was fastened INSIDE the car. so i didn;t take it out cuz i didn;t want anyhting to fall in the car and not be able to put it back in....like if there is a bolt on the inside or anyhtign.... you know how it is? so i can put the plastic sleeve in?

Dean

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Well thats where my door knowledge ends. I let the body shop do it as they were doing other work at the same time. Didn't stick around to see how its done. However, if I were to take a guess, I'd say that there is probably a clip that holds the inside part of the striker pin in place to prevent it from falling inside. Having said that, please note that I said i would guess I'm really not sure. I'm sure someone else will chime in and prove me right or wrong. And which plastic sleeve are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the plastic sleeve that goes over the pin/bolt that you need to take out with the torx bit there should be a sleeve over that bolt to prevent rattle or something mine don;t have one...the passneger side does tho

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can replace the bushing on the door striker. Just unscrew it with a torx bit. The nut inside wont fall down in the door.....it will move around a little though....that's so you can adjust the strikers position. I did this on my Cougar recently.

Eric

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
See, I knew there had to be someone on here who's done it before! :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot eric420.....now they sell the bushings separate? or do i need to get the whole striker assembly?

Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts