TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the work i did on the pi swap and it is finnaly running the drivers side door decides it doesnt want to close anymore. one of the locks on the door moves alright while the other moves slightly but feels loose or broken.

any tips on how to get the door to close?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Go to the junk yard get another part, and fix it?? Sorry I had to lol. It isn't like the 4 door cars you can tie it shut through the windows :D :rofl: :rofl: But seriously that is what I would do. It shouldn't be that costly of a part, it might take a bit of time to fix it though.

BTW the new PI sounds great!! Good Job!! Can't wait to see what the green beast does with the PI we won in the raffle:D

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
boy does this sound familar, this car needs hinges? if so, do that first , then get a NEW latch , i wouldnt recomend used from personal experience. also replace the striker at the same time. you need to aslo verfiy that the power door lock actuator isnt hanging up. thats whats currently wrong with my 92 car,

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the hinges that hold up the door are fine, just one of the inner locks moves loosely and wont allow the door to fully engage on the round striker.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
go buy a new latch

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do you buy a new latch? can you get one at the dealership? i think tomorrow when i get my car on the street for the first time in 2 months im gonna go the the exhaust shop so they can cut and attach new downtubes then off to the dealership to get a new latch put in.

are they pretty easy to put in?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
they are a bear, but doable, yes i would get a new one from a dealer, i wouldnt go to any dealer unless you have one who wont rape ya,

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
do thru here thru here , you have multiple avenues

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that or just give it to the mechanic down the street that works outta his garage. my hands are too big for such a small job

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i was talking for the part at least

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes the latch is closed and wont let the striker in. it was working fine then i had to start pushing onto it to make it close, then it doesnt close anymore.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right before it wouldnt close anymor i had to pull pretty hard on the door for it to open. as soon as i got it open it happened.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
theres also a peice of rubber around the strifker bolt. Make sure its still there and didnt wear away in any places.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
are the brass bushings in teh hinges worn out? you could try replacing those along with youre latch... especially if your door is sagging. that brass is pretty soft.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
theres also a peice of rubber around the strifker bolt. Make sure its still there and didnt wear away in any places.
Is the striker a dealer-only part?

Al

1 - 20 of 26 Posts