TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Aspire has been giving me problems lately and getting progressively worse:

Symptom:
Engine bogs terribly when accelerating or if it doesn't actually bog, it has no power (OK, no wise cracks about "How do you know it has no power when it has none to start with? :tongue:)
During cruise at 3500 rpm, you can intermittently feel surging.

Other Symptoms/Statuses
No CE lights
PCM scan revealed no stored errors
Idles great
Fuel economy is ok

Maintenance so far:
Tune up (cap/rotor/plugs/plug wires) = no change (plugs looked excellent even thought it has been 45K miles since the last tune-up)
Cleaned the MAF = no change
Replaced the fuel filter = made it considerably worse! :redmad:
SeaFoamed it = slightly better, but still not drivable.
I haven’t yet hooked up my laptop to check things like ACT, ECT, TPS, etc. readings.

After the fuel filter change I turned the key on/off 4 times to charge the system, but it barely started and then really didn’t want to keep running. Anything I did to the throttle just made it want to stall.

When it finally decided to smooth out some, I could take it slowly up to 3K rpm and then floor it and it would work its way DOWN to about 1K rpm. All this while sitting in my driveway. :bawling:

I’m thinking the fuel pump is on its way out. Sound right to you guys/gals?

So the Aspire isn’t drivable (probably is, but I don’t want to chance it completely failing on the interstate), and since my Lincoln is down for repairs/modifications, I’m down to my tertiary vehicle: my 69 F100. I cannot continue to commute 110 miles a day at 12 mpg (with no AC)!!! :beek:

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Do a fuel pressure check.

Also, loosen the exhaust bolts at the manifold - you may have a plugged exhaust system (most likely the cat, but it's possible the exhaust pipe itself has plugged on you.)

RwP

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, fuel pressure check will get done this evening.

I forgot to mention that I thought about the exhaust being clogged so I felt the exaust at idle and I could feel every cylinder fire nice and solid. I was able to slowly close the exhaust and it pulled the engine down, so I'm thinking the exhaust is ok.

Wouldn't a clogged cat throw a "Catalyst System Efficiency" CE?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
sounds like pump.
My Buick was doing the exact same thing.......
So, I ran a hose from the fuel rail to a gauge out the back of the hood, and held it while driving.
Driving easy, or no load, the pressure would drop slightly(around 35psi from 41 at idle.
Well, as I gave it more load, the pressure would drop like crazy, and when it would hit about 22 psi, the car would start too fall on its face.
So, I pulled the vaccum off which shows now 50 psi at idle/no load.
So, for I drive we go......was somewhat better, but the pressure still fell way down.
So, it wasn't the FPR.
I went ahead and bought a new pump, fpr, and filter.
Somehow I got water in my gas, which in turn killed the fuel pump.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. :bowdown:

Good thing is that I can pull the pump from inside the car. There's an access panel right above the pump. My Aspire may be a low end, POS car, but it does have some nice engineering features to make working on it easy. :znanner:

And the last time I had the pump out (probably 100K miles ago) I put a sump and drain plug in the bottom of the tank. So I'll drain any crap/water out of the tank and pop in a new pump.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My Cougar cats melted down and clogged and wouldn't pull hills (sounded like I lost the bottom end) and never threw a code.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fuel pump as expected. Literally a 30 minute job!!! :znanner:

Pull back carpet
Remove 4 sheet metal screws for the access panel
Vacuum out the acorn hulls (friggin’ critters!!)
Unplug the pump
Disconnect the one fuel line
Remove 8 screws for the pump assembly
Remove pump assembly
Look for fuel pump strainer since it isn’t attached to the pump!! (never did find it…)
Swap new pump onto the assembly
Reverse install procedure
Test drive…

Run like a champ!!! :znanner:

I like it when I’m able to identify a problem, look at the symptoms, make an informed decision and make a repair that ACTUALLY FIXES THE PROBLEM. :D

Interesting that my POS Aspire already came with an access panel. Who's laughing now. :tongue:
:rofl: :rofl: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134861 :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You and me both!! :thumbsup:

$35 per day for gas wasn't going to cut it!! I love my truck, but not to commute in!!! :beek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts