TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading all sorts of stuff here im not certain of this ?.
does motorcraft have a single or double platinum spark plug for my stock 4.6 94 cougar that i just got. i dont really want to jump into other brands but i do use ngk in all my powersports
stuff but they are iridium. so, what is the expert opinions on this. just getting
back to the 94-7 mn12's again at 72. love the ride and drive. thank you. irvin toms

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Needs to be copper, or double plat; don't get a single plat.

The waste spark will destroy one half your plugs quickly, since they're reverse polarity and will destroy the center electrode if both are not platinum.

You DO know NGK makes copper and single/double plat plugs also, right?

NGK 3951 for copper; NGK 7740 for double plat; and of course NGK 7164 for iridium (or 97287 for Laser Iridium).

RwP

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so motorcraft doesnt have a platinum plug? i was always told to stick w/mc for fords instead of
other brands . compatability isues. so which is best ? i probly won put 3000 miles on this in years !

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Motorcraft may; but NGK is a good brand, and you read to me like you preferred them.

EDIT: I don't find a double plat Motorcraft easily; single plat won't last, so I'd skip them.

Here's what RockAuto lists: 1991 MERCURY COUGAR 5.0L V8 Spark Plug | RockAuto

RwP

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 4.6 v8 in a 94. at 72 years old i start to ? everything ive done b4.
since 96 ive had a 94,96, and now another 94. the other 2 had mileage in the 20's. this
one has 66000 on it.one owner, rust free and straight. just needs a lot of little things
replaced to ease my mind. most all mechanical to make sure i get there and back. to be a
nice day driver. came from wash state an truck to nw ill. maybe im too anal but will be asking you experts some questions again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never used other than oem in my autos. been using ngk plugs in my toys since the 60"s

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I used Motorcraft SP-432 platinum (AGSF32FM) in my 97. The factory plugs in the car were Motorcraft AWSF32P (driver's side), and AWSF32PG (pass side). Not sure why they are different, but at 62k they were really worn. I still have them, numbered by cyl.

Though I do remember using a Motorcraft "32PP" plug in Brenda's 96 (double platinum).

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,641 Posts
The Autolite APP104 is the double platinum equivalent to the stock Motorcraft plugs. I thought I read at one point the Autolites were the OEMs for Motorcraft's plugs...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went with the autolites. thank you !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts