TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
not me

i pulled that damn hood insulation long ago. it looked like **** and ford actually painted the underside of our hoods fully. plus ive heard it can rub on your intake tube and get worn in that area and that would look even worse. doesnt that stuff just retain heat better than straight steel? i say pull it yesterday and dont look back.

-John

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
First Question:
What type of oil goes into the ac compressor on a 95 lx???
You buy compressor oil. Should be right next to the refrigerant rechargers at the store.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I think I am going to pull my liner soon.I noticed that it holds alot of heat under the hood expecially with the taller style intake under the stock 95 hood.It sorta hits alittle on the top plenum.

Will the engine compartment stay more cool if the insulation is removed?I would think so.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I think PAG oil (46 viscosity) was in the R134a system but just use Ester Oil. Ester oil mixes with PAG and is a good universal oil. but do not use it to lubricate seals I have used a light coting of clear silicone grease on the seals with good results.

·
11,719 Posts
there is more than one type of oil for the different compressors and i don't remember which type it is.
Low viscosity. Usually each will say "for most fords" or "for most GMs".

·
Registered
52 Posts
the purpose of the hood liners is to protect the paint, not as a fire retardant. ask a pofessional auto painter what all that engine heat can do to a clearcoat finish.

·
11,719 Posts
the purpose of the hood liners is to protect the paint, not as a fire retardant. ask a pofessional auto painter what all that engine heat can do to a clearcoat finish.
It's both. The cover is fire resistent, and the plastic push pins that hold it to the hood are made to melt so the liner acts like a fire blanket.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
why would you protect paint you can't see?

·
Registered
396 Posts
It protects the paint on the top side of the hood but I imagine it is for more extreme conditions like arizona or such. It also does act as a smothering blanket in case the engine catches on fire. Kind of a dual purpose. Either way it will retain more heat in the engine compartment though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts