TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some problems with downshifting in my 94 Cougar. At any speed above 35 MPH or so the trans wouldn't downshift when I punched it. Large throttle opening would get nothing or maybe a stall converter type response where the engine would pick up a 1000 RPM and then make a lazy shift. The trans (4R70W) would act OK if I grannied the throttle but just wasn't driveable.

After hours of searching this forum and the net in general I replaced the original MLPS with a new Motorcraft part and it only made a slight improvement. I finally came across a post that said to clean the MAF sensor so I dremeled out the security torx post and pulled it off. It looked OK (don't touch the wire)but I sprayed it off thoroughly with MAF aerosol cleaner.

I re-installed it and went for a test drive. It is perfect! Downshift at heavy throttle openings are now rapid and crisp the way they should be. I even notice a difference in throttle response when accelerating from a stop. If you are having similar problems, try this. I was shocked that the MAF sensor was causing the problems I was having. Hope this helps another member sometime. I was pulling my hair out and contemplating dropping the trans on a cherry 50K car!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts