TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a P1400 code. EGR works and all passages in the plenum are clean. Testing the voltage on the DPFE gives me 4.95V on the reference incoming and 1.05V on he "measuring" side. After applying vacuum on the HI port side it drops from 1.05V to 0.13V. And then applying vacuum to the ref side it increases from 1.05V to 4.82V. Does this seem logical? Clogged orifice instead.?...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
What year model is this?

Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found what the voltage(s) should be for the downstream side (see image below and link: www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf). However I can't find what the voltages should read on the upstream side. As of now I am pulling every piece of the EGR system off and cleaning them. Well...minus the EGR tube...for now. I found the 1997 patent document by Ford that shows there are actually 3 orifices inside the EGR tube. So far two of those were clogged. I was able to clear those by shoving weed-eater string (3mm) down the DPFE feed lines (redneck, I know). Getting to the third (main metering) orifice isn't that easy. And I'm not wanting to remove the tube for the known reasons.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Code gone. Those who may read this later with similar issues, here is what I did/found:
-the above stated DPFE voltages are fine
-while the EGR valve was clean and operating, the port within the plenum was clogged ~30% with carbon...cleaned that out and cleaned the EGR valve again and installed a new gasket (cleaned the whole plenum while it was off)
-IAC valve tested fine but I cleaned it and installed a new gasket
-the EGR vacuum solenoid tested fine but the filter was pretty dirty and there was a bit of dirt within the body itself...cleaned
-all the vacuum lines are <1yr old but I removed all of them related to the EGR and the relating tubes, pipes, hard lines, resonator, etc and cleaned them

This did the trick. The clogged plenum port, EGR tube orifices (see previous msg), and dirty vacuum solenoid filter were the likely issue...not the DPFE. $6 in gaskets and an afternoon of time.

Side note: Additionally, I found the idle bypass port on the TB was clogged so I removed the screw and cleaned it all out. (Count the turns out on removal to make "tuning" back easier and NO this is not the TB stop screw for the butterfly). Installed a new gasket. This was likely the cause of some of my slight idling issues (they were too mild to worry about).
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top