TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to find a kit to alter the height of a 96 Thunderbird (like you can do with springs with a Mustang)? I just don't know of anyone who carrys a spring kit for a Thunderbird. I'm looking for a higher rear end and a lower front, like you would find on a dragster. Thanks.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Does anyone know where to find a kit to alter the height of a 96 Thunderbird (like you can do with springs with a Mustang)? I just don't know of anyone who carrys a spring kit for a Thunderbird. I'm looking for a higher rear end and a lower front, like you would find on a dragster. Thanks.
Buy 1.5" Lowering springs, install only the front springs...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Is it just for styling? Its commonly refered to as "stink bug stance". This will have a horrible effect on handling. Including less traction and poor cornering. You could just cut the front springs to acheive the same thing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Or maybe get a set of "air shocks" for the rear. If you are going for a 70's look, might as well use the parts they used back then. Just fill them with air at the gas station to the desired height!

Al

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I love the look.......LOVE IT!

or way down low in the front....

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
If you want the drag racing stance you need just the opposite!

The nose must be much higher than the tail!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it just for styling? Its commonly refered to as "stink bug stance". This will have a horrible effect on handling. Including less traction and poor cornering. You could just cut the front springs to acheive the same thing.
Yes it's just a styling thing to make it look more "70s" I just think it looks cool. The one with the breather sticking through the hood looks good. I've heard of some people doing it with 18" wheels in the back and 17" in the front, but I'm not sure that will look all that good. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes it's just a styling thing to make it look more "70s" I just think it looks cool. The one with the breather sticking through the hood looks good. I've heard of some people doing it with 18" wheels in the back and 17" in the front, but I'm not sure that will look all that good. Thanks for all the responses.
Melon ran this combo, I believe, on the the Thunderbird he just sold.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
speaking of which, when is that bird going to be racing again?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Vogtland 1" springs, Mark 8 rear control arms with the aluminum spring perches, Airlift airbags in the rear coils, and 245/45R17 front tires with 275/50R17 rear tires. It's on a slight slope in this pic, so it's a little exaggerated.

More pics and full mod list in my gallery: http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=52

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Looks way different in person

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The stance looks different than that. Or at least it did when I saw it. Im not knocking it, it looks amazing.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The stance looks different than that. Or at least it did when I saw it. Im not knocking it, it looks amazing.
Thanks. I guess it just appears different in my garage. It's actually due to receive a little more rake when I get time to mess with the front suspension again. I'd like to lower the front about 1/2".

Here's a good shot of the side profile on level ground.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Just a small front drop with the Proxes TQs on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info and pics. Definitely looking into this one. Lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
Like dis?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts