TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research but I couldn't quite find the answers to the questions I had. That being said, what do you guys use suspension wise for drag racing. Information regarding my car can be found in my signature. My big problem really is wheel hop, granted the IRS is to blame, but I would like to minimize it as much as possible. All my bushing are good, new wheel bearings, and aligned almost perfectly.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
New bushings, but what kind? The "sloppy joe" OEM rubber? DLF's delrin? Or aluminum?

That does make a BIG difference.

RwP

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New bushings, but what kind? The "sloppy joe" OEM rubber? DLF's delrin? Or aluminum?

That does make a BIG difference.

RwP
I actually used the AutoZone brand which yes now I see the problem lol. Which would you recommend? I use the car mostly for racing, and for running around town on the weekends when I am not driving my Mustang.

a lot of people use airbag systems to cut down on wheel hop. have you looked into that?
I haven't looked into that, though I have seen someones pictures on here of an Airbag inside the spring. Is there an article you can refer me to?

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
For drag racing, either DLF's Delrin bushings (VERY good and still streetable) or aluminum ones (figure no deflection. Also, not very streetable, figure no deflection :diablo: )

DLF is a frequent poster - grab them from him.

Also get the Delrin spindle bushings.

(All that loosey-goosey rubber back there and you wonder why you get wheel hop? Stick that much loose rubber positioning a live axle and IT will hop like the Easter Bunny ... )

RwP

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
How did quad shocks work out in the past. Didnt okcbird or someone like that have quad shocks and brackets installed?

Found this:
Oh but they will fit, I've seen pictures of them mounted on SC's from the old enthusiast club board that has now been merged back into the private forum on SCCoA, bought a pair of brackets to mount some up if I need to.

-J
I know I have seen pics of quad shocks mounted on an mn12. I just got a free set saturday off my old 99 gt. I have more traction problems that wheel hop problems though.

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Bilstein and Vogtland for me with Poly Cobra spring cups from Laurel Mountain Mustang.

See my gallery for all the mods.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
If those Eibach springs are lowering springs, that is the problem.
My cougar has allstock rubber in the rear and have never had wheel hop.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Delrin Bushings are really the only solution to wheel hop in a manual car. I tried practically everything else before developing my bushings. In addition to the wheelhop reduction, your 60' times will be reduced and more consistent.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I have the Eibach springs, Very very little wheel hop, Just wants to spin, But from what I understand my M/Ts should cure the cause.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Could be better.

EECDOC went from a previous best of 1.51 to 1.44 with my Delrin Bushings. ;)
Doubt it, there is no more power behind it. But I will be in contact with you to get some stuff. But as long as your in here send me some info on everything you have. Keith at cmpdragracing .com

·
Registered
570 Posts
Doubt it, there is no more power behind it. But I will be in contact with you to get some stuff. But as long as your in here send me some info on everything you have. Keith at cmpdragracing .com
You're correct, my bushings don't make power, but they will let you convert the power that you have to forward momentum, instead of bushing windup. If you've ever seen a high-powered MN-12/FN-10 launch with the stock bushings, then you know that the rear wheels move forward before the car does.

You can read Mike's comments in these two posts:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=918496&postcount=63

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=918502&postcount=65

You can get more info on my Delrin IRS Bushings Kits via the link in my signature. You can find info on other products that I offer, such as my UHMW Sub-Frame Mounts, by searching for threads here on TCCoA.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
So the best would be solid steel or aluminum bushings.
There will stop all unwanted motion.
But would give an unnecessary rough ride for a street car.
To explain better, with lowering springs the suspension bottoms out, then the tires
become the only suspension component, thus wheel hop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts