TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be getting a set of drag radials to attempt to solve my 60FT times. I would like to go 15x6 size, if possible. Is this a doable thing? I am having trouble finding out what sizes would work or even where to get them. I figured going 15" would cut the cost down in both the tire and the wheels.

I would go with real drag tires, but it isn't practical because I usually go to the track alone and don't have a truck to haul tires around.

Could someone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,789 Posts
James just to let you know that when my bird first got the upgrades I was running BFG Drag radials on 15x7 and they hooked great with the mods then. Still have them need to burn them down one day :D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I finally found where the drag radial stuff is on Tirerack. It looks like they only have P205/50R15s for 15" that will fit a 6" rim. It looks like I would have to go with a 6.5" rim to get P235/60R15. Of course, there are always 16" sizes.

I was trying to stay with Ford Steel rims if I could help it. I don't think Ford ever made a 6.5" steel rim in our bolt pattern.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After looking at our options (there aren't many in our size). It looks like the BFGoodrich G-Force T/A Radial 2 is the best choice. It comes in 235/60R15 , which is the closest I found to the original size. They just don't have our cars in mind for these. :)

The only 15 6.5" rim I found was from a Windstar aluminum. They are cheap and plentiful but it won't win awards in the looks department.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
A stock 15 X 6 0r 15 X 6.5 Bird or Cougar wheel will work with any 15" tire up to around a 255-60-15 drag radial. They were a little tight but for a few years I even ran 275-60-15's on mine back many years ago!! They are big 28" tall, 9.5 wide approximately.

The 235-60-15 BFG's are a little on the smaller than stock size but on a basically stock car with just a couple bolt on's will work fine (Little more gear with shorter tire). There are other drag radial manufacturers out there now with tires in similiar sizes and up so look around.

Hoosier QTP also makes a street/strip tire nearly track only that works well if you are close and running back and forth to the strip. a 26" by 8 biased ply works excellent.

Regardless, you need those to pull decent 60's with gear and converter in an MN12 to get decent ET.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the gear and the converter, just need the tire to pull it all together. I looked at other slips I have since I put in the 02 4R70W with the 2800 stall converter and I am spending a lot of time spinning wheels at the line. I think the drag radials will fix that.

·
2,643 Posts
I have the gear and the converter, just need the tire to pull it all together. I looked at other slips I have since I put in the 02 4R70W with the 2800 stall converter and I am spending a lot of time spinning wheels at the line. I think the drag radials will fix that.
It will and I can guarantee you are losing ET on the 1-2 and maybe also the 2-3 shift.

Once you get the tires dialed in all that will go away and you should see significant differences in ET.

People just don't realize.

Good luck with it!! You have good fall air coming as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Here is another option. P255/50R16 mounted on Lincoln LS temp spares (16x7) may be a good option. I just have to figure out if I want the Toyo Proxes TQ or the BFGoodRich T/A 2. It might be a bit of a challenge to find the LS spares but I have all winter to do it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A stock 15 X 6 0r 15 X 6.5 Bird or Cougar wheel will work with any 15" tire up to around a 255-60-15 drag radial. They were a little tight but for a few years I even ran 275-60-15's on mine back many years ago!! They are big 28" tall, 9.5 wide approximately.

The 235-60-15 BFG's are a little on the smaller than stock size but on a basically stock car with just a couple bolt on's will work fine (Little more gear with shorter tire). There are other drag radial manufacturers out there now with tires in similiar sizes and up so look around.

Hoosier QTP also makes a street/strip tire nearly track only that works well if you are close and running back and forth to the strip. a 26" by 8 biased ply works excellent.

Regardless, you need those to pull decent 60's with gear and converter in an MN12 to get decent ET.
good info here. remember that you are going to want to run lower tire pressures anyway at the track, so a slightly narrower rim isnt going to hamper performance at the track. where it will cause issue is going to a from the track and those are going to be cornering issues that you just need to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

I think I am going to try to get a set of Lincoln spares instead of going with a 15" rim. I would imagine the rims themselves would be cheaper and they wouldn't be used much. If you are spending $150+ each tire, you might as well not compromise.

·
2,643 Posts
Thanks!

I think I am going to try to get a set of Lincoln spares instead of going with a 15" rim. I would imagine the rims themselves would be cheaper and they wouldn't be used much. If you are spending $150+ each tire, you might as well not compromise.
Just find a stock set of Lincoln Mark VIII aluminum factory rims in 16 Inch to use just for track purposes. They will work fine on any of the 16 inch drag radials you plan to use. That being said go with a 255-50-16 or a larger 275-60-16 if they are available. Check the specs on those as well. Remember, the stock tires are approximately 26.8 inches tall. The stock rims width will work with either of them for drag purposes.

You will be running a lower tire pressure but you only need to go as low as what it takes for the car to hook. Trial and error. The more pressure you can run with and still pull good consistant 60's with only slight wheel spin the better off you are. Less rolling resistance down track, more stable and better MPH out the top end.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Just find a stock set of Lincoln Mark VIII aluminum factory rims in 16 Inch to use just for track purposes. They will work fine on any of the 16 inch drag radials you plan to use. That being said go with a 255-50-16 or a larger 275-60-16 if they are available. Check the specs on those as well. Remember, the stock tires are approximately 26.8 inches tall. The stock rims width will work with either of them for drag purposes.

You will be running a lower tire pressure but you only need to go as low as what it takes for the car to hook. Trial and error. The more pressure you can run with and still pull good consistant 60's with only slight wheel spin the better off you are. Less rolling resistance down track, more stable and better MPH out the top end.
Would 255-50-16's on sport rims treat me any better than 245-45-17's on my current rim? Because those are what I've been looking at. Along with some skinnys up front. What size fits the 16" aluminum SC spare rims?

·
2,643 Posts
Would 255-50-16's on sport rims treat me any better than 245-45-17's on my current rim? Because those are what I've been looking at. Along with some skinnys up front. What size fits the 16" aluminum SC spare rims?
Probably the 255-50-16s. I've used them NA and had success with them. More sidewall seems to work better with an IRS due to Flex at the sidewall. Just my experience with drag tires both NA or with a power adder over the years. Thats why I prefer to run 15" wheels. Lot more selection of tires between 26"-29" and more sidewall to absorb some of the IRS shock.

You need to find a set of 15" aluminum front spares and run a 27" tall front runner for the track. You can run the 16's on the rear for the track.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would find a cheap 15x8 wheel, slap some M/T 255/60-15's and let 'er eat! Just run the stock 15x6's on the front, no need to spend money on front runners.

Al

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
They can't stop you from using spare rims as long as they have DOT tires on them, I have had to get out and show them several times.
Alan

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Another question.. Why do we need 4 drag radials when our cars are not AWD? It seems that a lot of people do that here.

·
2,643 Posts
Another question.. Why do we need 4 drag radials when our cars are not AWD? It seems that a lot of people do that here.
Now thats hillalrious ROFL!!!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen it done here, many times. :) It was a serious question. LOL

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts