TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 bird that I put a Marauder TC in. With that I also got my car tuned. I am having hard (jerky) torque converter lockups/unlocks.

My transmission man put normal ATF fluid in the tranny.

First, is there any real chance a change to Mercon V will lighten the lockups?

Second, I was planning on pulling the trans cooler line to drain the transmission, will this also drain majority of my TC, since I cannot do it with a plug?

I do not want to pull that transmission again.

So what is the best way to get the fluid out and is it ok to add the Mercon V to the little ATF that is left in the transmission?

Thanks guys
Jonathan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help, please...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Mercon V is better for reducing TC shudder and possibly the harshness you mention.

I suggest changing the fluid, as much as you can. Regular ATF is not good enough for a 4R70W. I have not pumped ATF out before, but I understand how it's done. It should help get some of the TC fluid out.

Run the cooler line from the radiator into a container(held in well) , and start the engine. As soon as fluid flow slows or spits, stop the engine immediately. That is the most you can get out of the TC without a drain plug.

Pull the pan, and carefully loosen the valve body bolts slightly. If you are not used to working on the VB, don't do it unless you have a 1/4" torque wrench to tighten them back. They need to be only 90-105inlbs. tight. If you do loosen the VB bolts about a 1/8", most of the other fluid up inside the trans will come out. You could need as much as 11 quarts or so doing that, get a case. 12 quarts is the normal no cooler capacity. Regards,

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Any help, please...
First drain the pan, and change the filter you can pump it out using the below technique so you dont make a mess.

I flush my trans 2 quarts at a time. Get an 3/8" npt fitting at lowes with a barbed end (I know the ones they sell for the air compressors fit well). Connect it into the radiator fitting (the one actually inside the radiator, you have to take off the fitting that attaches to the nut). and attach some clear plastic tubing.

Start the car and let about 2 quarts go into a waste jar. stop the car

Add 2 quarts into the dipstick

About 15 qts should do the trick, this is exactly how the machines at jiffy lube do it.

Another thing you can try is a ADDITIVE to "make mercon V" that is what they do in the lube shops so they only have to carry one fluid. Check NAPA or ask your trans man. The additive will put in the necessary friction modifiers.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Another thing you can try is a ADDITIVE to "make mercon V" that is what they do in the lube shops so they only have to carry one fluid. Check NAPA or ask your trans man. The additive will put in the necessary friction modifiers.
I wish I knew about that when I changed my fluid to mercon v that I had JUST changed before getting on this forum

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually just put the Lubegard additives in my transmission. I talked to my transmission man and he told me that he has used it before and it works really well for an additive. Like others on this forum he states that oil with an additive will never be as good as the correct fluid, but this is the best alternative. I put the green Lubegard in, which changes the characteristics to that of Mercon V and the red Lubegard which sustains the life of the fluid. I just drove the car and it really took the harshness out of the symptoms stated above.

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
I would still change the fluid out to the right stuff ASAP. Another option to drain out the converter would be to remove the valve body and jack up the front of the car, leaving the rear on the ground. That way, all the fluid will drain back out of the converter. It's a little more work than just a fluid and filter change, but a lot less than pulling the trans again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts