TCCoA Forums banner

Dreaded constant fan - no fuel pump

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  RichJura 
#1 ·
searched and read previous posts till my eyes blurred. Replaced a relay in the CCRM no diff. Replaced CCRM no diff. Wiggled and jiggled every part of the harness nothing changes, see no burnt or exposed wires anywhere. Ran new ground to PCM nothing.
I do have these 2 sockets under the main fuse box by the battery is there supposed to be something plugged into them..........excuse the bad pic.

Long Time
Thanks
Rich

See less See more
#8 ·
When the key is in the key on, run position (but it isn't running) the fan runs all the time, and what is the SES/CEL (Check Engine) light doing, is it on or off?

If it is off, then you need to check the wiring to the DPFE or that runs near it. It is a couple of wires off the main harness off the back of the engine near the center of the passenger side.

That MIGHT be it. Mine failed there and a few others have also had the failure. The wires had all the insulation burned off, and when they cross it behaved like this. I was crazy enough to drive mine like that, but it would always die on me in bad times, so I unwrapped the harness (these should be in braided heat resistant sheathing) and cut, added shrink wrap, soldered, and all was good.

#12 ·
In my case, my 97 Cougar, after swapping in the PI intake, wouldn't start. I noted the SES light was never on, and the cooling fan was running constantly.

But my car would NEVER run as it wouldn't start. So I am not sure what engine never shutting off means and not likely related to this and never starting.

I thought it was the connector to the PCM, and when I finally dug into it, it magically fixed itself, so I drove it. But I would hit a bump or go around a corner too fast and it would die.

I found that if I grabbed and moved the main harness that the fan would stop running all the time, and it would run. So I started digging into the harness, and found the wires that I think go to the DPFE with no insulation and when they cross it wouldn't run.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will get some more pictures, the car is wrecked and sitting in my back yard waiting for me to have time to get a new front clip on it.

#14 ·
well I'm flummoxed, the check engine light does come on with ignition on. The fan runs instantly but no fuel pump action. I've wiggled and shook every wire I can find to no avail. That's top and bottom.
Looking for a pin out of the relay box on the passenger side behind the headlight.

Thanks for the pointers guys

Rich

#15 ·
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I have a 1995 4.6 tbird and there is a harness crossing in front of the battery. It looks like a bunch of ground wires, about 5 or so on one side of the connection and two on the other side. The two wire on my car are the most visible, one is bolted to the battery and one to the car. Anyway, if that connection is unplugged and you try to start your car, the fans will just run until you reconnect it or disconnect the battery. So maybe you might want to look around that are and check for a bad connection or wires.

#17 ·
FWIW, almost all of the older Fords I have had to replace PCMs on will turn on the fans KOEO and not start. I also cant even communicate with them using a scanner. Have you tried to scan it yet? If there is a no communication problem on top of these symptoms, I would suspect the PCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.