TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watched the Drifters episode on Rides on TLC. A really weak episode. Anyway, I posted my opinion of it on their forum and this fella from one of the teams is posting.

The link to the forum is HERE .

If you post, keep it factual and without flames. I'm sure these guys would report posts without hesitating, but don't know how it is moderated.

Given that it was an opportunity for these top "race" teams to show their stuff, it was really disappointing. Their technical knowledge was lacking. They were describing what kind of skills were required. The GTO team was having a hard time getting the car to the event because the Jeep that they were using to tow the trailer couldn't do it.

The GTO team pretty much embarrassed themselves in what was supposed to be the big debut of D1. They weren't ready and shouldn't have been there.

Funny stuff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I didn't see the show, so I don't have much to contribute, but check out
THE DRIFTING EL CAMINO! :headbang:

(actually a GMC caballero, but who's counting? :D)

It's a guy over at my monte carlo forums that drifts his big heavy g-body. It's as hilarious as it sounds.

On the subject of drifting in general, I say let them have their fun. If nothing else, it's at least showing car makers that there is a market for rear-wheel-drive cars, which is always good. It's certainly not going to have a detrimental effect on drag racing any time soon.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
soop said:

The GTO team pretty much embarrassed themselves in what was supposed to be the big debut of D1. They weren't ready and shouldn't have been there.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8208&page_number=1

But what should Pontiac have expected? Drifting is the country’s newest motorsport, and most of the fans are the same enthusiasts who think it’s cool to spend 50 grand hopping up a Honda Civic that—even when modified—can’t outrun a Corvette. The $33,495 GTO is a classic V-8–powered, rear-drive domestic pony car from a Western conglomerate. It’s in sharp contrast to the front-drive sport compacts the fans would have likely arrived in. Pontiac invaded their turf.

·
Registered
817 Posts
drifting is about control, not speed. if you dont get that then you need to go back and watch nascar(not a bash, i love nascar too).

when you realize the fact that its hard as hell to get a car sideways, then keep it at a certain angle to the apex of the curve, then shift the weight to perform yet another slide around an opposite curve, while using the gas pedal to control the amount of rear wheelspin in a fine line between gaining traction and losing control, then straightening out the car without overcorrecting, then youll prolly like it better. comparing drifting to full out speed racing like nascar is totally stupid. apples to oranges. i agree with the saying, "drifting is to racing as ballet is to football", because in drifts, its not always who comes first, but who can control their car better.
so for all the people who are against drifting just cause they think its retarded and full out racing is better, just stfu cause youre only making yourself look dumb.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
soop said:
The GTO team was having a hard time getting the car to the event because the Jeep that they were using to tow the trailer couldn't do it.
I thought it was pretty funny when the driver, who was previously begging for a team to hire him to drive, said that U-Haul wouldn't bring the car because it was too heavy. I thought, these guys come all the way from Japan and have their act together, and our own guys are calling up U-Haul at the last minute on race day? Please, let's get better prepared next time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
drifting is..'neat.' I'd like to try it with my Thunderbird. (If they can drift the G-Body, an MN12 should be that bad?) Although, a tree or gaurdrail might get in the way. Not to mention the car might fall apart.

Thats some crazy stuff!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts