TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF goes to school in Michigan's UP and is graduating in December, so I'm heading out there for a week. I was looking at flights this morning and it looks like it's going to be about 300 from here to Detroit, then someone has to come from Flint and drive me up-state (6-7 hours). Then I got to thinking.

My car needs new tires, I've got a Trac-Loc pumpkin to go in, fuel prices are going down... what if I just drove out there? I think the fastest route from here (NW Oregon) is across the top of Idaho, Montana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and in to the UP. Google says about 2200 miles.

What are the roads like on that route in winter? I'm not going to say I've got a lot of experience driving in snow, but I have, and did better than a lot of the people around me (the people who were doing 360s through intersections). Do the major highways in these states get cleared pretty regularly?

Particularly if I get my trac-loc diff installed, would it be good to drive the 'Bird?

I'm going to need the tires before winter comes in full effect here (gotta have something decent for the when the rains come), and I figure rather than throw 300-ish bucks at a flight, why not put that money toward fuel and lodging and get a scenic trip in the process. I know the car can do it mechanically, just wondering if a lowered V8 Bird is the right vehicle for that trip in December.

Give me your wisdom, oh wise mid-westerners. :bowdown:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Fly, don't trust the roads, you would use I-40 and that is hell in the winter. Save the wear on your Bird, Fly into Flint, and enjoy the ride north, Recommend renting a car here. We don't use chains out here either so.... just fly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My state's practically tropical when compared to the northern guys, but I have driven both trac-loc and open diffs in the snow.

It's true that limited slips get more traction in the snow, but they also spin out much, much easier. If the roads are really slick, you'll be countersteering back and forth a lot after trying to pull away from a stop.

On the other hand, open diffs will drive straight most of the time, but you'll be extremely annoyed that only one tire is trying to get you anywhere.

Either way, if you get caught in a storm, or on a snow covered road, even 30mph might be too fast, and that makes a long trip exponentially longer.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I talked to her about it today and she didn't think that my car would be able to even get over the snow / ice berm in her driveway. I might drive a more southerly route, through Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, etc., and meet her folks in Flint, then drive up with them in an AWD rig.

Admittedly, we get nothing for snow here in this part of Oregon, just 6 months of solid rain (which is due to start pretty soon) and then it's beautiful for the other 6. Last winter we had an unusually large amount of snow (3"!) one time, it partially melted late in the evening, then it froze that night and the roads were just a solid sheet of ice. It was so bad that I had to put the car in neutral when I was rolling up to stop lights, otherwise the rear tires would just start spinning as I was only pressing the pedal enough to make the front brakes work. Maybe that's the norm for some people, I thought it was... well, I should have hated it, but it seemed like a lot of fun at the time. :)

But anyway, I'll think more about the drive, and we'll just see what happens. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You better fly bro, Ever drive through Grants Pass? If not, that is how it can get here. Seriously. I have a friend that lives in Tualitin, So I know your weather out there. It's all Rain! lol. Why risk your ride when you can leave the worrying to someone else.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I'm crazy enough to drive the 2200 miles.. but in the winter? I'd think twice, especially going through the mountains. Besides, I'm sure you'll spend more than $300 in gas to drive from Oregon to Michigan and back :D

If it was during the summer, I'd say pack up and cruise on over - it could be a good road trip. But you'll have more time to spend with your girl if you fly.

-Melon

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Survey says: don't drive.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, she is graduating from NMU. We talked about it and I'll just get on the plane. I like the Detroit airport anyway :) I just am not accustomed to places where you can't drive 365. Well... places where people LIVE and you can't drive there in winter. Like, Eastern and Central Oregon get tons of snow in winter, but no one farking lives there. (Not entirely true... maybe that's why they keep talking about seceding...)

If I wouldn't have to refill it every 200 miles, I would take my F-100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts