TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason, the drivers side seat belt will no longer latch in the receptacle. I've plugged it in until I'm blue in the face and it just pops right back out. I've looked and best I can tell, there is nothing lodged in the there that is preventing it from latching. Any insight? Thanks!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is probably full of dirt, lint, and who knows what. Try blowing air through it and spray with silicone.

·
Administrator
8,108 Posts
Might have some change lodged in there somewhere.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is probably full of dirt, lint, and who knows what. Try blowing air through it and spray with silicone.
I've tried the compressed air as well as the silicone spray lubricant and still no luck!

When I push the buckle in to the receiver, there is a slight "click", just like the passenger side but no catch. It just pops right out. I don't see anything lodged in there either.

To be sure, the seat belt "catch" mechanism on these cars is completely mechanical correct? I assume that the wire going to the receiver portion is just for the seat belt chime?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You need a new latch. Or a better one from the junkyard.

I replaced the Crown Vic's one at only around 25k miles. It would still latch, but pull out with not much effort sometimes. That is an important part!

Al

·
Super Moderator
17,162 Posts
If it’s not something lodged inside it sounds like one of the plastic internal clips broke. I’ve taken these buckles apart before and it’s not something that’s repairable if that’s the case.

You’re correct that the wire is simply there for the chime/indicator. You can swap in a passenger side buckle as a replacement if you don’t care about retaining those features,

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Wouldn't a seatbelt buckle fall under lifetime warranty by Ford as it is a safety thing? Or is that a Honda thing only?

·
Administrator
8,108 Posts
Wouldn't a seatbelt buckle fall under lifetime warranty by Ford as it is a safety thing? Or is that a Honda thing only?
It might, but good luck trying to get Ford to replace a part from a 22 year car! :eek:

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts