TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to anyone else? My driver's side door alignment has shifted down and now I must slam the door to get it to close. Any idea on how to fix this? Are there any parts required or do I just unbolt the door hindges, jack the door up and then tighten the bolts?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
More than likely, you will need to replace the hinge pin bushings on the lower hinge assembly. You can do this either two ways;

1. Replace complete lower hinge assembly.

2. Remove existing hinge pin, and install new bushings. This is a little harder to do, and if you search thru some of my recent posts in this section, you will find the write up I did on it.

NOTE: Trying to fix this by simply "adjusting" the hinge screws, will only prolong doing one of the above fixes. If the bushing is worn all the way thru, then the hinge plate will start wearing, and then you will be replacing the entire hinge. If you do nothing, then the door skin starts rubbing the paint off the door jamb, at the bottom corner.

If you need more help on this, let us know.............

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The hinge assembly, as well as the individual pieces such as the hinge pin, bushings, and striker plate, can be purchased from a Ford Dealer. You will need to replace the striker plate's plastic sleeve, too. The hinge pin and bushings are only a few bucks. The striker plate is around $14. A complete Ford hinge is around $75

If you check out Advance Auto parts, they have a brand called HELP, and they sell the hinge pin and bushings too.

You could also get a complete hinge assembly from a junkyard, and go from there.

Hope this helps..................

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In all likelyhood, this will happen to the passenger's side as well too, so I may just order two full assymblies from a friend that heads up a parts department. Last question ... bottom hinge only or will the top need replacing as well ... looked like the top hinge was pretty solid.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My top hinges were OK. The bottom hinges were the only ones with bad bushings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered full hinge assymblies for $55 each + $8 ground shipping from Atascadero Ford. I have been dealing with Gary Starr for the last 3 years ... he give a great discount. Consider then for parts (800) 549-2005 ... tell him that Trevor from the Cougar message board sent you ... he will know who you are talking about ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled to door off completely yesterday, replaced the lower hinge and put the door back on ... opens and closes like new. However, now my verticle alignment is off ... the top of the door where it meets the frame is sitting about 1/8-1/4 inch off it's seating surface and when I drive, I get mad wind noice. How would I adjust the verticle alignment?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
You should first try loosening the two bolts on the door side of the upper hinge, and move the top of the door in a little more. It is going to be a 'trial and error' type of adjustment. Just keep an eye on your paint, so you don't scratch it.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I got a complete lower hinge from a junkyard in pretty near perfect shape. put it on myself. and it only cost me 15 dollars where the shop said it would cost 100+ to do. But my door does sit a little lower than it should. The paint it starting to wear at the top where it rubs...not cool. but then it was scraped off anyway when my bushing completely fell out and the door wouldn't even close without me lifting it first. lifting those doors makes you see how those hinges could go out. thems things are heavy! But my lower hinge pin bushing broke off and when I shut my door it just slammed into my car and swung back out. OUCH! so I got some touch up paint and painted it on there. I guess I'll have to detach the upper hinge and allign it now too. And also, my latch on my door has not worked correctly since I bought it. it doesn't shut all the way but it latches completely I think. something with the latch. and the pin it latches onto it constantly coming loose no matter how hard I tighten it. which just makes me have to shut it harder. Any suggestions on that? Thanks.
-Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts