TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My son’s 1994 Thunderbird rear wheel (driver’s side) is making a thump noise when driving.
I jacked up the car to find that the wheel has play in it, a lot of play. Is this the wheel bearings in the hub assy?
If so do I need to remove the hub and have the new bearings pressed in? Is it difficult to remove the hub?
I need to fix this soon, he need’s his car for work and school.
Thanks in advance.
-quadcells
:(

·
Registered
61 Posts
You might want to make sure it's not some other part in the rear suspension. When I bought it, both rear wheels in my SC could be moved a good 1/2". It made the thumping sound you mentioned. The problem was the bushings in the rear upper control arms. The wheel bearings were fine. With the rear wheel off the ground, have someone lift up on them and watch for movement in the control arm bushings.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
yea, that's true. Doesn't necassairily need to be the bearings, but if it does turn out that they are bad, the hub will have to be replaced. The bearings aren't servicable in the hub. I had mine done not to long ago, it was about 69.00 for the hub and about 80.00 labor.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I paid $15 shipped for a used hub. $32 for the bearing. $15 at the Ford shop to have it pressed in.

Word of caution, don't let ANYBODY but Ford try to press in the new bearing. Ford garages have a special set of dies just to press the hubs & bearings on our cars. They were all required to buy them. But if you'll pull the rear carrier(s) off the car yourself and take them in, they'll likely press them for you for next to nothing. :D Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That's a good deal, probably the way to go if you can pull the works yourself. I can't though, because of my back, so I'm stuck paying a lot more money than you Yuts!! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks people,
But I had to bring it in to get service. I try to do as much as I can but this time I didn't have the time and the shop wants $400.00 to do it.
The hub was destroyed by the bad bearings and took a long time to remove.
The shop ordered the parts from Ford and it should be done today. I was surprised by the size of the bill.
Thanks again for your help.
-quadcells

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Sir William said:
I paid $15 shipped for a used hub. $32 for the bearing. $15 at the Ford shop to have it pressed in.

Word of caution, don't let ANYBODY but Ford try to press in the new bearing. Ford garages have a special set of dies just to press the hubs & bearings on our cars. They were all required to buy them. But if you'll pull the rear carrier(s) off the car yourself and take them in, they'll likely press them for you for next to nothing. :D Good luck.
Hey now I have the hub tamer. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts