TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what’s up fellas

I has question, would it be possible to get a drive shaft from ANOTHER car and shorten it to work on the bird? I’ve seen shafts for our birds for 600$ online. But I been wondering to myself if it’s possible to go the custom route and grab an aluminum shaft from the JY or offerup and make that ***** work.

Any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
94 Thunderbird
36 Posts
hey what’s up fellas

I has question, would it be possible to get a drive shaft from ANOTHER car and shorten it to work on the bird? I’ve seen shafts for our birds for 600$ online. But I been wondering to myself if it’s possible to go the custom route and grab an aluminum shaft from the JY or offerup and make that * work.

Any tips or tricks?
Try and find a one piece 93 lincoln MK8 driveshaft
I'm running one with 4:10s and forced lube mod with no issues.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you swap to a T45 the aluminum DS from a P71 is a perfect fit.
I wasn’t really wanting to swap trans at the moment.
You think the p71 works on the bird with the shortening?
How long is the bird shaft? 68”?
I read the p71 shaft is 64”

Try and find a one piece 93 lincoln MK8 driveshaft
I'm running one with 4:10s and forced lube mod with no issues.
I’ve check every pick you part near me and nobody even has a mark 8 haha 93’s are becoming even harder to find!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There probably isnt a factory AL drive shaft thatll just have to be shortened. Most new cars have two piece shafts, and even fewer will have one longer than ours.

I never measured our stockers, but Im 72" tall, and a stock drive shaft comes up to my chin.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There probably isnt a factory AL drive shaft thatll just have to be shortened. Most new cars have two piece shafts, and even fewer will have one longer than ours.

I never measured our stockers, but Im 72" tall, and a stock drive shaft comes up to my chin.

I found this in a crown Vic forum.
I think it’s long enough to cut and shorten, but what I’m unsure off is can you even do something like that to a stock aluminum driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
The crown vic shaft is shorter than the tbird shaft, so you can't use that. If you want to get an aluminum shaft and get it shortened, your best bet is to look at extended cab or long bed 2wd pickup trucks. Those will often have a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft from the factory that will be significantly longer than the stock t-bird shaft, and you can then have it shortened. FYI, for a 4.6 tbird, you want a length of 58.2" between the u-joint centerlines.

Reactions: Wile E. Coyote Jr.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crown vic shaft is shorter than the tbird shaft, so you can't use that. If you want to get an aluminum shaft and get it shortened, your best bet is to look at extended cab or long bed 2wd pickup trucks. Those will often have a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft from the factory that will be significantly longer than the stock t-bird shaft, and you can then have it shortened. FYI, for a 4.6 tbird, you want a length of 58.2" between the u-joint centerlines.
Verrrrryyy interesting, now that you mention it, I parted out a 97 explore a couple years back and the driveshaft look pretty thick and it might even be the right length! Will have to hit the junkyard soon and measure them suckers up. Am assuming you can’t fit much more than a 4” driveshaft down there huh

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
I have one of a chevy driveshaft,which is too short; but I also grabbed a second one that was all bent up and got a 6" section of it as well.
If I ever need another one, I'll take it to the shop and get it welded and balanced.
IDK what car it came off of, but it's solid aluminum.
You'll want to keep the front and rear pieces to go on the new shaft, unless you buy one complete.

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
A 4" shaft is the max, and that requires removal of the metal shield between the gas tank and the driveshaft, and rigid mounting of the rear diff. A 3.5" shaft will clear much better, and unless you are looking for 200mph top speeds, 3.5" will be more than sufficient. The Explorer shafts are significantly shorter than ours, so they won't work. Like I said, look at extended cab and long bed pickups. If you get one from an F150, it will even have the correct slip yoke for your 4R70 trans.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
The reason we have the crappy driveshafts is a safety thing; they collapse in a rear end collision.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Recently went through this, went to local driveshaft shop. I gave them a grand marquis driveshaft and they cut off my yokes, and welded them to a new tube (that they provided) at the length I needed. It was relatively cheap and came out real nice.
BTW the driveshaft was for a fox body, not a MN-12 so it all worked out.
Maybe that could work for you OP

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,491 Posts
If you swap to a T45 the aluminum DS from a P71 is a perfect fit.
The civilian steel driveshaft is actually the “perfect” fit with the T45, the aluminum P71 one is about 1” shorter than ideal but that’s what I run. There’s not much telescoping going on where length is absolutely critical, T45 yokes are splined to the end too which helps

·
Registered
169 Posts
The civilian steel driveshaft is actually the “perfect” fit with the T45, the aluminum P71 one is about 1” shorter than ideal but that’s what I run. There’s not much telescoping going on where length is absolutely critical, T45 yokes are splined to the end too which helps
I actually have one of the longer PI tail shafts brand new in the box. Would self sell if someone here could use it. I doubt I ever will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts