TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my MKVIII driveshaft and have tightened the bolts to the centering socket on the rear end. There only two things that i want to ask before i take it down and drive it to test it.

1. How tight should i get those bolts on the rear of the shaft to rear end, and if they are supposed to be torqued(my info says like 95 lb-ft) will a torque wrench fit in there or is a special adapter necessary? (also, thread lock or no thread lock?)

2. Is there any problem running the car without the exhaust from the resonator(after third catylitic converter) or will it harm the fuel tank which is plastic and right behind it?

Thanks everybody,

Willum

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
exhaust gasses get quite hot. I tried the same principle on my 95, but did it in back, about 8" from my rear bumper. Being in back, the gasses were slightly cooler, and still managed to melt my rea bumper.
Though the gas tank is a tougher material, it would be a good idea to stick a turndown on it for safety sake.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I havent had any problems with my dums and iv drivinf it from dallas to in/mi and chicago with no troubles, as for the drveshaft bolt id use red locktight and double wrench it and get em as tight as you can

josh

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
and you have....turndowns? eh? :D
I've run a dump too, with a turndoown. dont want 1000-800 deg air blasting straight back on the tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts