TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to know if a 4"(diameter) shaft will fit. I was talking to a company and the guy said that he would make a shaft out of aluminum only if I could do a 4" diameter shaft. Since I don't have my car near me I can't go check. So if someone could let me know I will let you all know what the price would be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Midnight said:
I need to know if a 4"(diameter) shaft will fit. I was talking to a company and the guy said that he would make a shaft out of aluminum only if I could do a 4" diameter shaft. Since I don't have my car near me I can't go check. So if someone could let me know I will let you all know what the price would be.


I measured my stock 97 Diameter at the center about 10"


Wrong Answer :zwthstpd:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,638 Posts
LST MN-12 said:
I measured my stock 97 Diameter at the center about 10"
:2huh: Say what?! The diameter of your driveshaft is 10"? Wow. I'd like to see pictures of that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah what he said. Still looking to see what the diameter of the shaft is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I know the biggest that can fit is from a crown vic Interceptor, I have one shortened to put in my 5-speed with u-joints to adapt the yokes, I can go measure the diameter if you really care :confused: , it BARELY clears the shields around the gas tank :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I do kind of care. I am talking with a company and they said that if a 4" shaft will fit they will build one out of aluminum. Their starting price over the phone was 499 which is already cheaper than denny's and the other. However it isn't much cheaper. Then I talked to the guy and he mentioned that they have a carbon fiber shaft for 800 but I don't want to spend that much. He asked how many I was going to order. So I said to myself "self I wonder how many people would actually be interested depending on his price for the aluminum one and what offers he would give me for it." So I would like to know if a 4" shaft will fit so that I could see how many at what price. You know where this is going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
3.5", 4" MIGHT fit if you cut the shield, so Im going to say no, 3.5" max. I paid 50$cnd for a used shaft and 200 for new joints and getting it cut and rewelded and balanced. I dont think 500US is worth it for what you gain, I've taken a steel shaft SC to 150mph and an aluminum one to over 160, never noticed any vibration or anything, maybe under continous use it might fail, doubt it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
nitrotn97 said:
:cool:
Maybe he meant 10 centimeters. That's about 4". 10" circumfarence(sp) maybe? But NO WAY 10" diameter.


Sorry - I measured circumfarence Sorry :eek: :eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
AsScLoWn said:
3.5", 4" MIGHT fit if you cut the shield, so Im going to say no, 3.5" max. I paid 50$cnd for a used shaft and 200 for new joints and getting it cut and rewelded and balanced. I dont think 500US is worth it for what you gain, I've taken a steel shaft SC to 150mph and an aluminum one to over 160, never noticed any vibration or anything, maybe under continous use it might fail, doubt it

Its not the vibration up to 150-160........or so, it is when yo uslow down you will pick up the vibration. When I put my gear in it was wonderful, but when I was crusiing on the interstate at 80 and let off the gas, I had such a bad vibration the driveshaft actually backed the tailshaft seal right out and Iwas pouring fluid all over I-75. When you let off the gas that is where youll start to see the problems. I cussed buying the thing from DR when I bought it because of cost, his customer service, but once I got it in.........It made a HUGE difference. Was well worht the 400 I spent.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
when I had that i replaced my U-joints and everything was better again :confused: , usually vibration on decel is U-joints or loose flange bolts :eek:

Even a Pinto doesnt vibrate at 80 and decelerating, obviously the people roadtesting these vehicles when they first came about would be aware the seals were pissing fluids at such a low speed, I still say an aluminum shaft does nothing for 99.9999% of the people
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,617 Posts
AsScLoWn said:
when I had that i replaced my U-joints and everything was better again :confused: , usually vibration on decel is U-joints or loose flange bolts :eek:

Even a Pinto doesnt vibrate at 80 and decelerating, obviously the people roadtesting these vehicles when they first came about would be aware the seals were pissing fluids at such a low speed, I still say an aluminum shaft does nothing for 99.9999% of the people
You don't think people notice the rotating mass difference? Check the weight between the 2 shafts. Plus I think the crimped together shaft was a heap. Not one of fords better ideas.
Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
AsScLoWn said:
I still say an aluminum shaft does nothing for 99.9999% of the people

I dont dissagree with you on that one at all.

I just know mine made a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So 4" is a probably not. Ok then it is still either the MMX or the really expensive carbon fiber one. If they send me prices I will let others know.

Do we all agree that 4" is a no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
yea it made a difference, because your old one had bad u-joints and had rust on it throwing it out of balance, I've wirebrushed several steel shafts and replaced U-joints and the car was as smooth as ever, its like having a tire with flat spots then changing up to a new studded snow tire and saying "OMFG those babys are so smooth I recommend them for everyone" :eek: , ok i drop my percentage to 99.99%, its over-kill I still say, some early 89s had one piece shafts, I have serveral SC shafts, so anyone want to buy this rare piece for only 200$? :rolleyes: :D

I usually notice more power when its slightly colder out, but did I notice or any power gain by the feel of the car or by G-tech, nope, I never, so if had a choice I'd save the money untill I run at speeds closer to 200mph(depending on length of shaft)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
some early 89s had one piece shafts, I have serveral SC shafts, so anyone want to buy this rare piece for only 200$?
I never really paid attention to how the driveshaft on a t-bird is made. Crimped together means not welded? Is that like those 'smooth' Cadillac shafts with rubber in the middle? I will look at mine when I get around to pulling the tranny.
So are you saying my '93 has a pos driveshaft? Then you are saying early '89 and supercoupes have a good driveshaft? Hmm I bet Pull-a-Part has 100 of em for 20 bucks each :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I dont have a clue if the early 1 piece are better, it felt heavier if i can remember, the 89 SCs all came with the thicker half-shafts and stamped lighter lower rear control arms also instead of cast. The two piece shaft might of been made to stop vibration or help it clear the rear of the tank(since the rear of it is smaller in diameter) and D/S loop,its also feeels like its made out of thinner sheet metal
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top