TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had a moment of stupidity today, lol. I was cleaning up the trans from the 97 and had it sitting in the driveway. Went to leave to go to the store and began to back around it, and then I stopped because I forgot my wallet in the garage. At this point, the trans was hidden from view behind the car, and I forgot it was there so when I went to leave again I gave it a nice smack.

It was sitting about a foot off the ground on a cart, and I don't know if I hit the trans or the cart. It landed upside down with the converter still in place and fully seated, but the extension housing is cracked where the tailshaft seal is (definately from hitting the ground, there are concrete chips), and also it appears to have kissed the ground in the direct clutch area, but no damage visible there, just light concrete scrapes.

The output shaft appears fine, just the housing is cracked and the dipstick is bent, so what are the chances that I damaged the internals of the beast?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, here's the deal. I have an old extension housing from a late 90's 4R70W, the oil seal is gone and there are pry marks on the face of the seal area but not on the actual bore where the seal would fit into. The bushing is intact, but has quite a few miles on it so I'd like to replace it.

I called my local Ford dealer and he says the tailshaft bushing is not serviced separately, I need to buy the entire extension housing for $151.00. Dude says it should come with the oil seal, but if not it's only $13 to get that too.

So, should I just buy a new extension housing and know that all is well, or should I get an aftermarket bushing of apparently questionable tolerances, and stick it in my used housing and hope for the best?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would say get the new one if you have the money.

When you factor in the time to install an unknown tolerance bushing and seal into a used extension housing, the $151 doesn't look too bad for a "bolt on and go".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts