TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question many times in several different venues, and I keep either getting the answer, 'I don't know' or 'Thats crazy! Why would you want to do that?'

I have a '92 Thunderbird LX, and I want to make it into a convertable.

All laughing and snickering aside, there has to be a way to do this. I am fairly certain there was not an option for a convertable for the Thunderbird 89-9? from what I have seen. Perhaps I am wrong. I've compared other cars that have the convertable option to find similar body styles that would work. I think a Lebaron has the width I would need for the project, but I figured I'd ask you guys for advice.

This is just a pipe dream at the moment, but if it is doable... It would be pretty sweet to be driving one of the only mid-model Thunderbirds with the top down...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
There is (http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/) a company that will do that. I have seen some Mark VIII's, a couple Porsche 928's, etc convertibles.

Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets. :thumbsup:

But I would not recommend diving into that major of a project without years of fabrication experience under your belt.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets. :thumbsup:
What he said....

It's been done but not much. In addition to the Coach Builders cars (iirc it ran about $10k to do a Mark) Ford did a "prototype" Cougar(http://www.coolcats.net/mn12/convertible.html) convertible that I thought looked great but it was never produced. There was a also user here a while back that had an orange 'Bird that he'd cut the top off of. I'm not sure if he got into all the body bracing and things that should be done for street driving... I think I recall a thread that he sold that car.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
doodaa said:
What he said....

It's been done but not much. In addition to the Coach Builders cars (iirc it ran about $10k to do a Mark) Ford did a "prototype" Cougar(http://www.coolcats.net/mn12/convertible.html) convertible that I thought looked great but it was never produced. There was a also user here a while back that had an orange 'Bird that he'd cut the top off of. I'm not sure if he got into all the body bracing and things that should be done for street driving... I think I recall a thread that he sold that car.

when my roof was gettin done david said that he got quoted 8k to do a convertable.... why dont you just go for the 4 foot sunroof. mine was less than 2k.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? No. Considering the mn-12 is a unibody car, by chopping off the top half of the car you essentially destroy a large chunk of the car's stability. You'd have to brace the snot outta the car to make it street worthy, and even then you probably wouldn't ever get the same stability back, unless you put in a roll cage but really that would defeat the purpose of a convertible. Now if you've got the $$, the initiative, and the ability to throw logic to the wind, go for it. I personally would give you props if you pulled it off, it's just not my cup of tea all things considered

·
Registered
262 Posts
Say What????

That, is all... ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
can you say

sebring?
thats cool and all, but when i see it i see a sebring with Tbird emblems.

photoshopped?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Merlon said:
sebring?
thats cool and all, but when i see it i see a sebring with Tbird emblems.

photoshopped?
Dunno... found it a few years back and kept it for laughs. Falcon5783 has it pretty well dead on - you'd be compromising the structural integrity of the car me thinks. Of course you could always do like Ford did when they came out with the SN95 convertible: lots of honeycomb and foam in the trunk area to try and hold it all together. :D

Flipped my '89 Bird over in '93... landed upside down. The point of impact was just above my head where the windshield meets the roof. Unbuckled my seat belt, dropped down, crawled out the driver's window and walked away unscathed. Car was totalled. I'm pretty well sure I wouldn't have been that fortunate in a convertible.

To each his own; Best of Luck to anyone who does it.

That is all...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
IMO if you really want to do an MN12 convertalbe, the cougar lends itself to this project a bit better becuase of it's body lines...the bird is too curvy in the back, the cougar is nice and flat, boxy-ish and that would work well as a convt. HOWEVER the structural issues are there...but it could be re-enforced enough to work, but let me ask you this...have you ever driven a FOX or SN95 Mustang convertable? They're loads of fun, but they are HORRIBLE--every little bump in the road and the car flexes, shakes, rattles & vibrates like it's gonna fall apart....it wont...but...it feels like it will, plus they're heavy, and they're NOT safe in accidents...go to http://www.coolcats.com look at his fox cougar convertable, read his write up on how it is to drive it....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm surprised at that answers about the unibody vs. convertible comments. MANY unibody cars have become drop tops from the factory with very, very minimal bracing; usually just thicker/larger torque boxes. As mentioned, the Fox body verts, along with the early Mustang, and Camaro, etc.

Ever seen how the T-Top part is installed in a Fox Body Mustang? Take a saw, cut a pair of cutouts/notches in the roof, and rivet in a chunk of metal for the tops to fit in. That's it. No bracing, nada!! :beek:

Are they as structurally as sound as a full roofed car? Probably not, but they are definitely road worthy and safe.

IMHO, a set of subframe connectors, a set of the standard shock tower/lower cradle braces, and some increased bracing round the torque box area would more than be sufficient to make a safe and streetable drop top MN12.

As a side note: The blue MN12 looks more like roadster than a convertible. But I still like it!! :bowdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_body_style

Just my .02 and good luck!!! :thumbsup:

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts

:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stangboy7 said:
Holy hell, thats hideous! What a waste of an otherwise beautiful car.

I'm all for artistic freedom and I respect the fact that a lot of effort went into this car, but I would never think of doing that to my car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
^^yesir, thats what im saying maybe a nice front end conversion of a sebring or lebaron.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
XR7-4.6 said:
:bs: thats not a thunderbird, its way too small, it looks like a lebaron with a thunderbird bumper

its neither, i think its photoshop. check out the trees in the background infront of the hood, you can follow the line up all the way to the top of the car where the trees split and dont match.

*** added this part after i loaded it into phtoshop***

Unless someone has more pics of it, i say its photoshop... check out the front license plate, its not lined up center with the bird decal, plus thats not even a bird decal, if you ctrl+ in photoshop youll see what i mean, AND the front license plate isnt even in the center of the bumpers air dam like it would be normally.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Actually you can see a very distinct line in a square shape along the grass under the front bumper, up along the fender well and in front of the bumper, and then across the top somewhere. The paint on the hood doesn't match QUITE right just above the headlights. And the treeline to the left of the car has a repeated pattern like it was copied

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Actually you can see a very distinct line in a square shape along the grass under the front bumper, up along the fender well and in front of the bumper, and then across the top somewhere. The paint on the hood doesn't match QUITE right just above the headlights. And the treeline to the left of the car has a repeated pattern like it was copied

yep. its a decent photoshop, but could have been alot better

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just been re-directed to this post because I'm thinkin' of doing the same thing with my 96, but not worrying about making a top.

I figure with subframe connectors, strut tower braces front and rear, and the braces that run across the floor where the seat belts are, the top of the panels (like right under where the windows are) would still be fairly loose without some bracing inside the panels.

When I cut the back half off of my ramcharger the sides were starting to fall out, so I had to brace the sides.

And if you look directly under the bumper, you can see a nice straight line across the grass. I say photoshopped

1 - 20 of 22 Posts