• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall,

I went and picked up my cougar today from Audio Accustics<sp?> and Ill have to say I like it. The jamex springs lowered it a bit, but not too low. Im going to get it painted next week, the whole thing except the windows prettymuch. It will be "Deep Blue Pearl Metalic." Ill have to say thanks to whoever I bought these springs from a while back...cant remember who..but THANKS! lol

Ive already gotten a lot of looks since I brought her home, cant wait till shes painted!

Corey

Before

After

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
looks good man

keep it up

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to say...

That you've done some nice work this summer on your cat. It's starting to look pretty sharp. How much of a drop is it?

K

·
0 Posts
wow... hope you don't ever need a tow

I scrape my bumper when I'm driving my bird up onto car lifts as it is with stock springs... hope you never have to have a tow... you'll need a new bumper every time :D But it does look good.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: wow... hope you don't ever need a tow

grabejr said:
I scrape my bumper when I'm driving my bird up onto car lifts as it is with stock springs... hope you never have to have a tow... you'll need a new bumper every time :D But it does look good.
put some 2x8 or even 4x8s in front of the ramps.

I haven't seen an old-fashion tow truck for years. Almost all are now flatbeds.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
As a work in progress it looks great to me. But I'd find some way to tie in the fully shaved doors (which are now blank) to the still decorated front and rear ends. But I still think it's one nice lookin Cougar(i'm a little more fond of the TBirds because of the non-vertical rear window).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,

The only way that I can think of un-decorating the front and rear is to paint over everything. Can anyone give me any ideas? Im open to anything! I thought about replacing the front and rear bumpers with earlier models...like maybe a 95-97. But, I thought that would drive my cost up more than I want to spend. If someone can give me and idea using the ones I have on there, id really appreciate it!

Corey

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Isn't that black strip just rubber or plastic? Even if its got holes in the panels behind tham, I'd take them off if you'er having it painted. Shouldn't cost you much more to have the holes filled in anyways and I think that would help dramatically. Waht do you think? And if you need parts for relatively cheap, try www.car-parts.com and see what they can come up with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the black moldings on the front and back bumpers are part of the plastic itself. I went and tried to take um off.......and then i found that out lol grrrr.... The ones on the doors were only held on by that double sided tape stuff that was hard as mess to get off. why cant the rest be like that?????? lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Paint them

I just finished painting a Cougar. I took the strips off the side and painted over the trim on the bumpers. The chrome piece ( at least on the 93) can be pulled out. There is a lot of glue underneath though, so have some patience. After that, just prep it real good and the paint should stick fine. It did on the one I just finished, and it looked a lot better.

matt94

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey,

Do ya think I should take out the chrome strip? How deep of a gap will there be after its out? I think Ima take it on out because the front has a small gap .... and the back..part of the covering and chrome is messed up. Might as well!

Corey

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a gap

If you take it out there is a bit of a gap. Another thing you can do is take off the chrome and plastic. The chrome and the plastic coating are on top of a strip of flexible plastic. If you remove the covering, you are left with a gray strip that fills the gap where the trim is. It looks like it does now. Then you can scuff it and paint it where its at. The problem is, if the strip is not secured very good, it can pull away from the bumper and take the paint with it. If you do it right, I think that would be the best way to go.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Im in the same bind. i just removed the molding on the side of my '89 LX and have the moldings W/ chrome on the front and rear. I removed the chrome strips. they are taped in with a few clips on the back. You can buy replacement chrome strips from the dealer at $62 each. Bummer! or automotive paint stores sell the molding in black. If you were going to paint over it i would buy the new stuff so there isn't as much prep of the old chrome. I think im going to paint the front and rear skins the body color and probably put new chrome in it. it will match my wheels. My color is kind of light, mot like black that would stick out like a sore thumb. I also shaved those corner lights in the front skin of the birds and the 2 license plate holes in front, antenna, door handels, center rear tailights (relfectors on my year), key hole, ford logo
prior to the shave

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lovin' the cat Max!

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
Springs...Could have been me...I'm still trying to track down all the people I sold springs to. I know OKCbird has a set, a guy in MI has a set, VicRattlehead got a set, And I think at one time I had 4 other sets...maybe 3....They've all been out there for over a year now.

car looks good...keep it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
MadMax I really like the way it looks I was wanting to do the same thing to mine, how lo did you go, and I was also wondering what springs you used. Looks good not to lo not to hi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts