TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered it 2 inches and i went to get an alignment and the guy said i needed special struts or the toe or camber.. he said the tires would still be bent in after the alignment.... Now i kinda blew my money on this and tried to figure out what i needed, and shocks were a good idea just not needed and the shortended sway bars links for the back which i did get.

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
That's a crock-o-:bs:

He's lazy and doesn't want to take the time to do it right and/or he's looking to sell you parts you don't need so that he can charge you extra $$ for the parts and $$$ for labor to put them on along with $$$$ for the alignment.

Take it to another/different shop. You don't need anything special to get an alignment after lowering the car. Don't even mention to the guy at the next shop that you lowered the car. Just tell him you want an alignment and leave it at that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you posotive? thats the 3rd place to give me **** about it.. thinkin about gettin it done and just not saying anything when they go to align it.

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
Yea, I'm sure. Give it a min. Someone else should chime in and confirm what I'm telling you. I didn't have that problem with mine when I dropped it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have done many, many alignments including more than half a dozen on my own car (new parts, experimenting with different set ups, etc,). That being said, that guy isn't worth his salt as an alignment man; take it elsewhere. These cars have plenty of adjustability and are a breeze to dial in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called 3 places, people say they cant get it on the rack.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
I called 3 places, people say they cant get it on the rack.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the same crap down here, Found a place and he said if it fits the rack its a go, And she fit just fine :)

Mine you I broke out the yellow pages:D

·
Registered
623 Posts
At my old shop we had extra ramps for really low cars. We specialized in hot rods, race cars, etc. though. With a small section of 2 by 6 wood on the ground in front of the lift I had no problems (2 inch drop) with my car. The shops around you must suck. If you're going to 'chain' shops that is your first problem. Try some independents. I worked at a small 'mom and pop' and we had a surprisingly up to date big buck rack.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i called this mom and pop and he said he would try to put it up.. i cant beleive people are this ****ing lazy... OH i called a specialty place and he would do it but he charges 90 bucks an hour and he said a guys car was 500 dollars to align... MY ASS!!!! if i knew this was gunna be an issue i would have never lowered it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i dropped mine 2inches and i ran into the same problem with a couple shops. ended up going to sears tire and auto. my friend is a mechanic there all he had to do was use a couple pieces of wood and he drove the car up on the rack and lined it up no problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
if there givin u alot of crap about it being dropped they jus don't wanna do it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We charged $80/ alignment and $100 for specialty stuff barring major work to get it in spec. All this alignment talk is making me miss it a little, college is more fun though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea im gunna have to get some of my buddies to do it for me.. such crap on how they cant put a few pieces of wood infront of a ramp to get it up.. :boom:

·
Registered
799 Posts
yea i know, good with it though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it done, friend in NTB.. got it done.. 4 tires and an alignment 20 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiice. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
Good deal. Glad you got it worked out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys, you really helped me out with the information to get it done.. Ive actually never owned a car long enough to do this much to it.. i usually blow them up or something.. so my lack of front end and suspension knowledge is there, but im trying to improve. So what a guy at a proshop(which is the guy that told me i needed those struts) i would probably believe or look into atleast. so really you guys did help me a lot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts