TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds like I'm going to have to change my u-joints again soon. Last time, I had a hell of a time lowering the exhaust. Is there an easy way to get those rubber bands loose? It's easy to get them about halfway, and then suddenly they're a nightmare. Surely I'm not the only one that has had trouble with them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I use a screwdriver with it bent almost to 45 degrees. Once you get under it pry it up but not off. The get something pointy and get in between the screwdriver and grommet and finish prying off.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grease! I hadn't even thought of that. I'll definately have to rub a big glob of grease over the ball at the end of the metal bar.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Any kind of rust penetrant or spray lube will work. WD-40, Deep Creep, Break-R-Loose, etc. Just a quick shot on the ball end and pry a bit. It helps to have it unbolted first so you can wiggle the piping back and forth a bit. :D

I just pulled my system off a couple of weeks ago for the new project. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What bolts? I don't have any bolts toward the end of the exhaust. (I don't think there are any past where it bolts to the engine actually except to hold the different sections of exhaust together.) I just removed two or three of those rubber bands before.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The cat-back is bolted to the front portion and the front cat portion is bolted to the manifolds. It's MUCH easier to get the rubber mounts off if it's already unbolted. Think about it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get the picture. I figured unbolting the exhaust would be unnecessary hassle, but if it makes it easier to remove the bands, it's probably worth it.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
How do you get the hanger out that's up by the crossmember? It's nothing like the other hangers and I couldn't figure out how to get mine off. I figured Ford made it difficult so people wouldn't mess with their cats, so I gave up and hacksawed the metal piece that connects to the hanger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts