TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so, my car has been dropping out of OD without warning. The light comes on as if I hit the button to disengage it. I've been letting off the gas and hitting the button and it was going back into OD.

Tonight, it went off again,but ignored my button pressing and re-engaged itself about a half mile later. What could it be? I thought I smelled tranny fluid right before it happened. Could have been gear oil as well.

Sometimes this condition happens when I start the car as well.
Any ideas?

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did that a few months ago when it was randomly shiftin into neutral on the highway

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
not to hijack your thread or anything but I got somewhat the same problem. It popped the check engine light and said output speed sensor malfunction. checked the sensor it was plugged in reset the light now the o/d off light is flashing.

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few months ago it was neutralizing. The MLPS was replaced twice due to that problem. The new problem is the comming out of OD into third and illuminating the OD off light. Then it re-engages OD and shuts the "OD off" light off. :confused:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Sounds like an electrical problem with either the switch for locking out OD or the wiring.

·
5,650 Posts
Bangster said:
Sounds like an electrical problem with either the switch for locking out OD or the wiring.
I agree. Check for shorts in the wires to the switch and the switch itself. It's a momentary switch so it sounds like it's shorting the two wires together every now and then.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What is the mlps?
Just a quick question I had my car on the dyno about an hour before I had my problem. When they had it on the dyno they locked the trans, so when it was dropped into gear he had to step on it or it stalled. Could that have goofed my trans up?

·
5,650 Posts
The MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor; aka neutral safety switch or transmission range sensor) is a sensor on the side of the trans that tells the computer what gear the trans is in. When you shift into different gears, a shaft on the side of the trans rotates inside the sensor. When the sensor goes bad, it doesn't deliver the right voltage corresponding to the gear the trans is in and strange things can happen.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It actually tells the computer what gear you have manually selected/when you are in Park or Neutral to allow the starter to engage, when in reverse to illuminate the back up lights.

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update: on my drive home tonight, no problems at all... this all goes back to the randomness.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Does anybody know what code 1504 means?
I changed the output speed sensor then started it then that code turned the check engine light on.
edit: I figured it out at work it's the Idle air control Valve??? hopefully after that is changed im done with it.

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update again: Put in into park and O/D off illuminated until I pressed the button... I'm leaning towards loose wiring in the shifter correct?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Alright guy's I drove my car to work today It seems like its dropping to neutral whenever it wants to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts