TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was letting me check out the HUD in her GTP last night and, out of the blue, offered to let me drive it. I could hardly turn down such an offer, so off we went. I REALLY liked it. That Supercharged 3800 was quite impressive. I wish my 4.6 drove like that. Out of curiousity, has anyone here driven an SC and a GTP? I've not yet been able to locate an SC to try out and I'm just wondering if the drive is comparable.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have driven both a SC and GTP (and Regal GS.) Why do you ask? I assume you are wondering which is faster stock?
I would say that the SC I drove "felt" faster, but I think thats because its a 5 speed. But it did have a 10% pulley and catback, but I still think it just felt faster.
The GTP is was pretty quick for being stock. I've yet to see any above the 14's, even stock. So I would say the GTP is faster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess the higher torque on the SC would probably contribute it "feeling" faster too, eh? Anyway, after driving that GTP, I thought I had another car to add to my list of models I'd definitely trade my Cougar for, but I would feel bad about trading it for anything that WASN'T made by Ford, so maybe the SC is a better choice.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
The GTP's have 240 hp stock and 280 lb torque. And also you can get them into 12's and 13's easy. They have stuff at supersixmotorsports.com for them. That's about all I got.
-Thomas

·
Registered
946 Posts
GTPs are pretty cool but they're fwd. plus the stock tranny wont hold much north of 350 hp....

anything FWD is lame in my book.

and i'll only take awd if its a f6, a v12, or maybe a f4t ;)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I dunno Cyntaxx. I'll happily take a little v6 GMC truck that can whoops up on your pretty new lightning with a little money in it. Are you familier with the 1991 GMC Syclone? ;) BTW, beautiful truck!

·
Registered
946 Posts
oops forgot about the syclone/typhoons..

and i guess while i'm at it, i like the integra type R....great track car...even tho its fwd.

oh yea, i never liked the looks of the sys..just a little *too* plain for me..

but i do like the typhoons :) slammed with dubs...i wanna be a G soooo bad :)

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
I ran a GTP on a 4-lane strip here in town. I was running a guy I work with for fun. He drives a focus with slight modification. He wanted to run me. I really did not think it would be worth it but we got next to each other on the way home from work. The roads were kind of wet from a misting and I was not able to stomp it off the line due to traction, and my 1 2 shifts were a little squirrelly .So needless to say I was not able to get on it all the way. Had to feather the launch and shift. I would lose a good bit off the line but it made it fun passing him.

Ok first part of the story done we were running from on light and the next turned yellow I stop he went on thru. A GTP pulled up next to me (he had been playing along a little behind me) The light turned green he took off I feathered it in we were actually pretty even low end with him pulling more then my bird would, but higher up on the rpm range my bird pulled back even. I do not know what they run stock but I would have liked to run him on the track to see. They are nice cars.

In ending, I usually do not play around like that on the street but I guess everyone gets a little ambitious.

Later,
jay

My 94 4.6 liter Thunderbird modification's include:
Completely rebuilt trans per jerry’s thesis.
Complete FRPP 3.73 alum carrier
Acell dis tower coils and 300M+ racewire
180 deg thermo
9 inch K&N cone in fender well
I have some other "free mods type things here and there also.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
uhmm

GTP's arent too fast... they arent even intercooled (lol, GM) I've never lost to one in my 97 4.6 bird (constant 15.0's) almost basically stock. I took 2 GTP's from the lights last night... Although I liked the digital boost gauge, and they are pretty peppy. SC is much better. Stick with ford my friend =)

·
Registered
946 Posts
i dunno about that....depends on how stock your ride is. if you run 15s, please not that gtp's are faster by a couple of tenths. but of course on the street anything can happen...

·
Registered
722 Posts
SC vs. GTP

I've beaten a few GTP's with my SC ....... doesn't that count?

In stock trim, the GTP is about 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile.

I like the comfort and and drivablity of the rear wheel drive T-Bird over the front wheel drive of the GTP's. On the other hand the GTP gets extra points for styling.

The bottom line for me was this: Dollar for dollar, you can make an SC go faster for less money than you can a GTP. The GTP hop-up parts are about 1-1/2 times the price.

The base car is more expensive too ..........

(My two cent ........ )

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Why does a 205hp bird beat a 240hp GTP?

because a 200hp NA engine will produce higher average power than a 200hp SC engine.

Peak power means nothing. The average is what matters.

Example: my stock bird dynoed 163.5rwhp. the average hp from 3300 to 5300 was 154rwhp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts