TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...fun stuff going on today. Neither of these codes threw a light, but I had my laptop plugged in (AutoTap) and they came up...anyways:

P1407 No EGR flow detected: Off to check all stupid little stuff related to; i.e. vacuum lines etc. I have a cracked line connecting the PCV to the hard line to the evap canister that I am going to replace but that seems unrelated :( Passages really should not be clogged on a 8k mile engine; which would lead me to think that the EGR valve itself has gone bad.

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor: I'm gonna crawl underneath the car and make sure that it is plugged in still; but this one really baffles me as I would think with a malfunctioning VSS I would be able to tell in everyday driving, shift points would be screwy but they don't seem to be. Any thoughts on this one?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Would reactivating the chip clear the codes? I just went back out to the car, reactivated the chip, and scanned for DTCs both KOEO and KOER and pulled nothing this time. EGR connections all look good, vacuum lines appear to be fine. Didn't crawl under the car yet, I'm not that motivated yet, I will later this evening.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More thoughts...

I just found out that there is supposed to be a gasket between the upper intake and the EGR tube. There isn't one on mine; it was taken off for the first time a few weeks ago when I installed the C&L "plenum", and there was no gasket. I don't think this is the problem though, the EGR valve and sensor is before this point. Am I wrong in thinking this?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose so, however I'm not sure that there is a leak in the EGR system. The only vacuum/idle related incident I have is an occasional drop in RPM down to 450-460 or so (which is rough of course)...all that aside; this code is no flow, there is another code (P0401 I think) for low/insufficient flow.

Could the switching of programs cleared the codes?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have another thought...seems pretty far out there; but hey, if so it's great...

When we finished the engine swap six months ago, the car did throw a light. I don't remember the exact code but it was definitely EGR related. We also forgot to plug in the VSS when we put the trans back in the car, and we had it out on the road like that.

Is it possible that these two codes are remnants of January? It seems far fetched, but I wouldn't expect an EGR component failure or blockage on such a low mileage motor; and I have no symptoms of a malfunctioning VSS.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Palmguy said:
Is it possible that these two codes are remnants of January? It seems far fetched, but I wouldn't expect an EGR component failure or blockage on such a low mileage motor; and I have no symptoms of a malfunctioning VSS.
That's a good possibility. If you cleared the codes and they haven't returned then alright. Party, bonus. But.. if you have disconnected the battery anytime since then, the codes would have been cleared, no? Also I believe the code clears after so many key turns without there being a problem that threw the code.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I know the light will cycle off after so many key turns but the code may still be stored....not sure

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Brian-did you replace the DPFE sensor?
Or did you reuse the OE Tbird sensor?
The originals were bad about clogging up and throwing codes,and simply corroding away to a pile of metal powder.
JL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts