TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My old exhaust had leaks from every joint, the cats were reading bad on my scan tool, and well... I just wanted new exhaust.. It's all re-done from the manifolds back, with a short section reused for the rear o2 sensors. Cats are $40 ebay specials, mufflers are 17" Brockman mellow tone steel packs. I plan on eventually painting the mufflers with some high temp flat black and adding some chrome tips. One side was a little off but as you can tell in the last pic I got out today, adjusted the rear hangers and got it pretty well lined out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My old exhaust had leaks from every joint, the cats were reading bad on my scan tool, and well... I just wanted new exhaust.. It's all re-done from the manifolds back, with a short section reused for the rear o2 sensors. Cats are $40 ebay specials, mufflers are 17" Brockman mellow tone steel packs. I plan on eventually painting the mufflers with some high temp flat black and adding some chrome tips. One side was a little off but as you can tell in the last pic I got out today, adjusted the rear hangers and got it pretty well lined out.

I looks like you eliminated the third cat and the resonator. I didn't see a X-pipe or H-pipe. What size pipes are those, were they bent at the shop. How do you like the sound of those mufflers?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just kept 2 cats to keep the computer happy, and the fumes down, budget concerns decided me against an X or H pipe. It's 2" pipe, bent at the shop - job took him all day.
These steel packs take a while to break in and it's only been a couple weeks.
At first I wasn't thrilled with the sound over 3,200 rpm but it seems to be improving. It's real low and rumbly at idle and fairly quiet, wide open throttle @ 4500rpm might as well be straight pipes.

I have noticed a little bit of a power bump over the factory exhaust.

Total bill :

Mufflers - $89 after shipping

Cats - $80 after shipping

Exhaust work $250

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Those aren't mufflers, they're barely bigger than the pipe! I can only imagine the sound.

Al

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I just kept 2 cats to keep the computer happy, and the fumes down, budget concerns decided me against an X or H pipe. It's 2" pipe, bent at the shop - job took him all day.
At first I wasn't thrilled with the sound over 3,200 rpm but it seems to be improving. It's real low and rumbly at idle and fairly quiet, wide open throttle @ 4500rpm might as well be straight pipes.

Total bill :

Exhaust work $250
$250 for an all day job including pipe and hangers is very reasonable. I'm curious about the choice to go with 2" pipes. Aren't the stock pipes 2 1/4"?

About those mufflers, I'm sure they sound pretty mean, I'm wondering if you have any droning with them? I'd think probably not due to the straight through design.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If the noise gets too bad, you could get a pair of stock V8 T-Bird mufflers welded on there, if anyone has an original exhaust system laying around. It would also get them in the stock location.

Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2" is what I found recommended for duals on a v6. I figure I'll try to get a sound clip sometime with revs. I've got one at idle I can upload tonight that I took about an hour after install.

·
Registered
412 Posts
2" is what I found recommended for duals on a v6. I figure I'll try to get a sound clip sometime with revs. I've got one at idle I can upload tonight that I took about an hour after install.
Sorry for not paying attention. I thought it was a V8. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

Total bill :

Exhaust work $250
I also agree that $250 for an entire day of labor (say 6 hrs assuming overheard or 8 hrs if he's really working) is a fair price.
As far as X pipe is concerned, they really aren't that expensive and would have helped even out the exhaust pulses (an exhaust pulse from the left bank will draw exhaust out of the right bank as it passes the crossover point -- bernoulli effect IIRC).

It's probably not worth revisiting now unless you decide to add more mufflers as you'll probably/need to cut the hangers and reinstall them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp3
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp2ss

The counter argument is that by keeping the pipes separate, you'll have two long and cumbersome exhaust sections to deal with should you ever need to remove it compared to one long and REALLY cumbersome exhaust assembly.

-g

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was just operating on a shoestring. I've been unemployed up until yesterday, and I sold off alot of my CB gear to fund this venture. As far as the time taken yeah it was about 6.5 hours total. My only alternative ride was going out of state so I got to sit around and watch / lend a hand where I could holding up sections and whatnot. Car rolled inside around 10 and left 4:30-5.

Here's another clip I took of the revs from inside the car on my way home.

https://youtu.be/pdlzkM830IM

Don't be alarmed by the horrible crunch like sound at the end, just the windshield wipers.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
There's no mistaking that sound when you give it gas, it definitely sounds like a V6..

I think your exhaust guy did a pretty good job putting it all together, in fact at idle I think it sounds pretty good..

Wise choice going with 2" piping on your NA 3.8L.. :wink2:

Does it feel like you lost any torque?

Rayo..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol thanks, as far as power goes I haven't noticed a lack of torque. It just gets up and goes a bit quicker than it did before.

Just wait...the pissed off bumblebee 4,500 rpm revs are uploading as we speak...lol

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Exactly! That's what i have on mine now and it does the trick.

Joe

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A resonator won't fix that. Nothing will fix that! Have to put some real mufflers on there.

I would ask around if anyone on here kept their stock V8 exhaust, throw the V8 mufflers on there, AND the resonator X-pipe. The best part is they will tuck under there like they're supposed to.

Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't mind the muffler placement..but I am going to change mufflers when possible.. I'm thinking the cherry bomb pro's. They have a high flow design and the few clips I've found of them on v6 engines sounded pretty good... This is the only non v8 car I've put exhaust on so it's a learning curve for sure.. I enjoy the slight bump in power but it's hard to feel cool sounding like a Honda when you downshift...lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts