TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the TruBendz dual exhaust piping for cat-back and will be having it installed soon.

Looking under the car something that strikes me is that coming out of third cat it's a single out, which means it would be dual leading into third and single coming out....then dual again with TruBendz pipes (which has x-pipe).

Is the x-pipe meant to replace the third cat? If not, is there a way to have true dual and keep the third cat....or is the intention to ditch it for the true dual setup?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the idea is to have the x pipe replace the 3rd cat. It will not affect emissions and would be counter-productive to keep the 3rd cat leading in to a single pipe then split back in to dual, which would just be recreating the stock exhaust setup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured, however, no shop wants to touch the third cat in fear of fines.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
So cut it out of there before you bring the car into the shop.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Just need to shop around and find the drunk guy exhaust shop .. the 40 oz bottle on a shelf is a good indicator. He'll do it for cash, after hours

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say I cut it out, wouldn't any shop worth a sh!t figure it out and refuse to work on it? Also, if I cut it out would I remove everything from 3rd cat back and bring it to a shop?

If anybody lives in Illinois and knows of a place let me know.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
A shop can be fined for removing a cat. If it was removed prior to the car's arrival, the shop is in the clear. Just cut the exhaust in front of the 3rd cat and drive it there like that. If you are really concerned about it though, they do make dual in/out high flow cats that you could install in its place.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I purchased the TruBendz dual exhaust piping for cat-back and will be having it installed soon.

Looking under the car something that strikes me is that coming out of third cat it's a single out, which means it would be dual leading into third and single coming out....then dual again with TruBendz pipes (which has x-pipe).

Is the x-pipe meant to replace the third cat? If not, is there a way to have true dual and keep the third cat....or is the intention to ditch it for the true dual setup?
I don't see how you'll have room for this unless you at least remove the resonator, which may make your car too loud, but I don't know. I replaced my resonator with an x-pipe inside of a resonator. But, I was also able to remove the 3rd cat.

·
Super Moderator
17,171 Posts
Say I cut it out, wouldn't any shop worth a sh!t figure it out and refuse to work on it? Also, if I cut it out would I remove everything from 3rd cat back and bring it to a shop?

If anybody lives in Illinois and knows of a place let me know.
It's out of their hands if that's what you bring them, they are fined if THEY remove it and put something incorrect in it's place, not if you brought them a car that simply needs an exhaust welded on. It's all technicalities, grey areas and wink winks.

Where in Illinois? That's vague as hell lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's out of their hands if that's what you bring them, they are fined if THEY remove it and put something incorrect in it's place, not if you brought them a car that simply needs an exhaust welded on. It's all technicalities, grey areas and wink winks.

Where in Illinois? That's vague as hell lol
Ya, the shop I was going to use had already seen the car with everything intact, so if I showed up with everything suddenly gone I doubt they'd be ok with that.

Fortunately, I found another shop that's a father & son deal who say they'll do it. Granted he didn't speak the best English, so hopefully he understood me :grin2: If all goes well, the bird will have the true duals with Thrush welded mufflers tomorrow morning.

I'm located in Yorkville btw :)

·
Super Moderator
17,171 Posts
Ya, the shop I was going to use had already seen the car with everything intact, so if I showed up with everything suddenly gone I doubt they'd be ok with that.

Fortunately, I found another shop that's a father & son deal who say they'll do it. Granted he didn't speak the best English, so hopefully he understood me :grin2: If all goes well, the bird will have the true duals with Thrush welded mufflers tomorrow morning.

I'm located in Yorkville btw :)
Well not that it matters but If you're up front with them they aren't obligated to bat an eye, they probably wont have any personal objection to doing it, they're a business, they WANT business. What they don't want is to be handed a $10,000 fine after being being paid to lop off a catalytic converter for a customer who for all they know is inspecting their business practices. The letter of the law focuses directly on the alteration or removing of a federalized emissions device, they are under no requirement to restore one brought to them that's already altered.

For example, a much lighter scenario, if you take your car to a shop for whatever, say a tire rotation, and while it's in the air the mechanic looks it over for other wear items to replace to sell you on fixing or just preventative maintence, and finds that your rubber evap hoses are completely rotted out - these in terms of the letter of the law are equal to catalytic converters, since the are part of an emissions system - all they can do is inform you and ask if you'd like them to fix it or not, not refuse the tire rotation until you agree. They're not liable to what happens to the car outside their business, so whether you tell them your 3rd cat miraculously fell off somewhere on the highway between you're last meeting or were truthful in that you lopped it off yourself, they aren't obligated to repair it to federal spec.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Had everything installed today. It drones like mad around 1500 rpm and not acceptable. Also, I'm not sure if it's how the shop did it but seems like the pipes are too low.....not tucked in like they should be.

I have Thrush welded mufflers and the x-pipe. Wondering if the drone is from x-pipe, mufflers, or both. Seems like the x-pipe. I'm guessing either a dual in/out cat would fix that or maybe a muffler instead? Did some research here and sounds like replacing x-pipe with dual in/out magnaflow resonator would eliminate the drone. A quick Google looks like they're actually dual in/out mufflers not "resonators". I'm not expert but a true resonator would eliminate the sound frequency associated with the droning.

Here are the two magnaflow dual in/out mufflers I found. Are either of these what should replace x-pipe?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11386?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-magnaflow&gclid=CMuzta6Ps80CFZWCaQodVqcCiQ

Magnaflow 12468 - Unfinished 2.50" inlet/outlet, 5" x 8" x 18" body Dual Inlet / Dual Outlet - Oval Muffler - Performance Mufflers

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
The mid-mounted will help reduce the drone, but it won't completely kill it. To get rid of it completely, you will need to ditch the welded mufflers for a set of chambered ones, but those typically don't flow as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think the drone is coming from the mufflers. I would be tempted to put on a pair of Magnaflow performance mufflers. When I got rid of my Flowmaster 40 and put on the Magnaflow type, the horrible drone was eliminated.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Replacing my xpipe with the magnaflow di/do muffler quieted the car down when it had dual magnaflow mufflers in the rear. It's louder than stock but is tolerable. Sounds really deep. But not like a factory tuned exhaust on a 5.0 mustang or anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the drone is coming from the mufflers. I would be tempted to put on a pair of Magnaflow performance mufflers. When I got rid of my Flowmaster 40 and put on the Magnaflow type, the horrible drone was eliminated.
Do you have xpipe still, or did you replace that also to kill the drone?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you have xpipe still, or did you replace that also to kill the drone?
Look at post 677 in the link for a pic of my magnaflow x-pipe resonator. http://forums.tccoa.com/101-exhaust/118883-mandrel-exhaust-systems-23.html

I thought the above would tame the drone, but it did not. The problem is the mufflers. If the thrush weld style you have is similar to the flowmaster 40, you are going to have drone. It is simply the nature of a reflective style muffler, The magnaflow performance style absorbs the sound. Since you already have an x-pipe, in my opinion, you will have to change mufflers to either a chambered, (restrictive) style, though I wouldn't because it defeats the purpose of mandrel bent piping, etc, or an sound absorbing style, such as I have done.

Had I known the nature of the beast, I never would have put Flowmasters on to begin with, thus saving myself over $200 in parts and labor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look at post 677 in the link for a pic of my magnaflow x-pipe resonator. http://forums.tccoa.com/101-exhaust/118883-mandrel-exhaust-systems-23.html

I thought the above would tame the drone, but it did not. The problem is the mufflers. If the thrush weld style you have is similar to the flowmaster 40, you are going to have drone. It is simply the nature of a reflective style muffler, The magnaflow performance style absorbs the sound. Since you already have an x-pipe, in my opinion, you will have to change mufflers to either a chambered, (restrictive) style, though I wouldn't because it defeats the purpose of mandrel bent piping, etc, or an sound absorbing style, such as I have done.

Had I known the nature of the beast, I never would have put Flowmasters on to begin with, thus saving myself over $200 in parts and labor.

So which magnaflows did you end up getting specifically. The funny part of all this is that I picked the Thrush welded because some on the board like the sound (and they were inexpensive). That and the shop I had planned on using the guy recommended the Flowmaster 40's which sounds like those should be avoided to.

There should be a sticky post about what mufflers to avoid, etc. to avoid drone....or there is and my ADD made me skip over it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts