TCCoA Forums banner

Dual in Dual out Exhaust?

2K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  JoeyICU 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about a setup like this, replacing the third cat with a dual in dual out muffler. I found this online http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/ss.htm product-14379

I believe that flowmasters crossflow mufflers would also work.
I think that 95lx has a similar setup.
What does everyone think about this, a bad idea?
Thanks,
Will

#2 ·
i did that set up. i didnt use that muffler tho
remember that if you have a muffler in place of the third cat, you probably wont be able to lower your car very much and it makes an awful drone in the cab.
but other than that i like it

#3 ·
Most guys use the magnaflow dual in/ out muffler for this type of application. Personally I prefer the sound of Magnaflow to that of Flowmaster but that's just my opinion.

-Miller

#5 ·
well, from what i've heard, people recommend using 2 x-pipes instead of just one or none to mostly eliminate the drone. so instead of getting the 14379, why not get the 14386 (with x-pipe built-in) and another x-pipe to go either before or after it? that way, you get the sound you want, and eliminate most (if not all) of the highway drone?

and also, from what i've heard (can't verify this personally, as i've not done this myself...maybe someone else can verify this?), having 2 x-pipes helps eliminate the torque loss associated with removing the 3rd cat/resonator.

#6 ·
personally, i plan to use the 14385 with another x-pipe (both 2.25") and then run true dual to straight tips out the rear. but who knows? i may decide to replace everything from the headers back including high-flow cats, and if so, i may do the 14386 with another x-pipe (both 2.5") and then run true dual to straight tips out the rear.

#8 ·
maybe not a pre-built x-pipe, but maybe where the 2 pipes come off the main cats, i could have them come together into a custom x-pipe, then come back out to the dual inlet of the muffler.

or maybe just have them put in an h-pipe right before the muffler, that would probably accomplish the same thing.

#9 ·
thanks everyone

what are the quality of the magnaflow mufflers? It says they are stainless. Would they be comparable to borla of dynomax? Will i have to evuantually replace them?

For the people that have this setup. What kind of prices did you pay to get the pipes bent. Whats reasonable?

Thanks again
Will

#10 ·
magnaflows are very high quality...there like a cross between flow and dynomax sound wise....if that makes sense...i doubt youd have room for the dual in dual out muf and another x pipe uner ours cars.....what makes you wanna do the sinlge dual in dual out muffler?

#11 ·
I feel it may be cheaper and easier than a true dual setup. The art exhaust is nice but too expensive in my opinion. I am not crazy about a catback system because the gains are minimal and the will rust. I know most people go to a shop and have dual pipes bent for them, I live in NY and my car is kept outside. I am trying to get a setup that i wont have to replace. It seems like this setup will be the cheapest, free up the most hp(for the money spent), and last the longest. I dont think i am interested in an x pipe. Would i be able to keep the pipes seperate to the back of the car? I realize there is a very small ammount of room to work with.

Thanks everyone
Will

#12 ·
JoeyICU said:
magnaflows are very high quality...there like a cross between flow and dynomax sound wise....if that makes sense...i doubt youd have room for the dual in dual out muf and another x pipe uner ours cars.....what makes you wanna do the sinlge dual in dual out muffler?
a single dual-in dual-out would be as cheap or cheaper than 2 single-in, single-out mufflers, and also take up a lot less room, making it possible to mid-mount it easier.....i personally don't like the mufflers being at the rear of the car

i priced the 2.25" dual-in dual-out here locally, and it's somewhere between $100 - $125

#13 ·
I paid 68 for my dual in 2.25 in/ single 2.5 out magnaflow off of a guy that sells on e-bay. Its aluminized but he also sold stainless. What's it matter they all have lifetime guarentees (sp?)?

-Miller

#14 ·
but we're talking about true duals, not 2-1-2. true duals requires either 1 dual-in dual out or 2 single-in single out mufflers (assuming that you're not deleting the mufflers completely).

that is a pretty good price for the muffler that you got, tho

as far as them all having lifetime warranties, that may be true....but i personally would probably pay a little more for stainless so that i wouldn't have to go through the hassle of taking it off when it rusted to claim the warranty on it. i'd wanna stick it on there and forget about it.

#19 ·
would everyone use the 14468 rather than the 14379
because of the x design inside? Will both these mufflers fit?

Thanks again
Will

#20 ·
weswing04, i read that you don't have cats....
how is your muffler doing??? is it handling the heat ok? any issues??
I have two 2-chamber flowmasters in the mid-body with turn downs ( no rear exit) and plan to remove the cats but worried that the heat will be too much for the mufflers...

#22 ·
Will3799 said:
If you arent going to have an x or h pipe anywhere else, the muffler w/ x inside would be best.

mn12xr7 said:
weswing04, i read that you don't have cats....
how is your muffler doing??? is it handling the heat ok? any issues??
I have two 2-chamber flowmasters in the mid-body with turn downs ( no rear exit) and plan to remove the cats but worried that the heat will be too much for the mufflers...
I haven't noticed anything bad yet...the system has about 700 miles on it now too. I would think the heat would actually do a lil good for them...evaporating the water from the exhaust, preventing rust. But no problems so far :)

94cougarXR7 said:
weswing04 what was the part# for the 4" round mufflers u used in the rear? your car sounds sweet btw, i got flowmasters in the rear and cant stand the drone anymore, im thinking getting a magnaflow setup like yours
I used Magnaflow part # 10415. The only drone i have is in 2nd gear, 12-1500rpm. It was real bad at first..but has gotten better over time. I think it will probably go away once i have a couple thousand miles on the mufflers.

Makes me think..i need new sound clips since the system is somewhat broken in now :)

#23 · (Edited)
Will3799 said:

Thanks again
Will
they should fit fine...miller1995 put in a 24' overall length muffler mid-body just fine:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?threadid=37973

Edit: and why not use the 14368 with the Tru-X in SS instead of the 14468? it's only 20" overall instead of 24" overall....only difference other than that is that it's in a 4"x9" oval instead of 5"x8" oval.....the 4"x9" would be better for ground clearance anyway.

#24 ·
there would be less heat in a catless exahsut b/c the catalysts dont have to heat up to deal with the nasty stuff coming out of the engine

#25 ·
JoeyICU said:
there would be less heat in a catless exahsut b/c the catalysts dont have to heat up to deal with the nasty stuff coming out of the engine
no, the entire system is much hotter without cats, because there isnt anything there to catch it. with cats i could grab my tips after a long drive and they were just warm. now my car sits in the driveway (catless) idling for 5 mins and I cant even touch the tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.