TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ive been trying to fix a egr problem.i forget the code(limited flow) but the guy at Auto Zone said to clean the egr valve and look for vac leaks before i bought a new one.well i think i have replaced every vac line that looked bad ,my worst ones going to the fuel canister.
As of now my car runs very smooth.but the light is still on.

My question is if i fixed the problem that was causing the cel to come on, will it turn it self off right away(telling me i fixed it) or do i need to clear the codes in order for it to shut off.and wait to see if it comes back on again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to clear the codes. Unhook your battery for like 20, 25 minutes and then hook it back up. Or, any shop with the ODBII connector and a scanner can do it, think they'll charge though ?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Why unhook the battery when pulling fuse #15 under the hood does the exact same thing?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Since he is a newbie; the Fuse 15 trick should be explained in more detail.

Remove fuse 15

Attempt to start the car (it won't)

Put the fuse back in.

Computer has been reset. CEL will be off

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
Since he is a newbie; the Fuse 15 trick should be explained in more detail.

Remove fuse 15

Attempt to start the car (it won't)

Put the fuse back in.

Computer has been reset. CEL will be off
I agree, I should have explained that! Now he knows, so much easier than removing battery cables though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip on resetting the cel and clearing the codes,much easyer than doing the battery which i knew.

I was hoping that the car would know if a problem was fixed and turn the cel off on its own.then i clear the codes.kinda like when you have the starting of a bad o2 and the lights only on from time to time.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Actually, I believe the CEL will go off, after so many drive cylcles without the problem being detected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One last question.In getting codes pulled,from autozone.i was givin the list of the 3 things that could be causing the code(which i forget(low egr flow) but was told check the vac lines i'm pretty sure i have replaced them all (some were split)clean the egr valve(and i did)check my plugs(new)

i was told if i still had the problem then it was indeed the egr or the celinoid.now today i stop at a light i could feel it grumbling alittle so i know the CEL will back on
any bets as to which piece would go bad?i was told there was not seprate codes for the egr and celinoid,any truth to that?

with my luck i would buy the wrong one.but both might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Don't have the book in front of me, so don't take this as gospel.

1. unplug IAC
2. disconnect vac line off the EGR and plug it (a golf tee works)
3. hook up an external vac source (i just used a long piece of same size vac hose and my mouth)
4. pull a vacum on the EGR

If engine idle changes; EGR good.
If not, bang the heck out of the EGR valve with a screwdriver handle. Repeat check.

If still fails, or can't pull a vac on it (diaphram in valve broke), EGR bad.

This is pretty close to the haynes manual, hope it helps

rob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hey it works sometimes:D

rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heh some how i have a feeling this is gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth:D

all it took was one good burn out and cel was back on.guesse i will try the all american fix all tommorow.and see if it works,if not i guesse in go's another $50 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts