TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work for the DoD, and there's an email distribution list that basically goes to EVERYONE in the Naval Air Weapons Division ... several thousand people, and we sometimes get "ALL HANDS" messages addressed to everyone. well yesterday they sent out an email looking for people who are fluent in more than one language and if they'd like to offer their skills either now or in the future. "please reply to blah blah [email protected] ..."

so this ONE guy whose first language is OBVIOUSLY not english neglected to hit "REPLY" and instead hit "REPLY TO ALL" and it just sparked this HUGE worm like human-made virus of hoards of emails.

"oops, you replied to all" x 20
"hey, this is fun, let's keep talking" x 10
"yeah, let's all go home!" x 10
"hey, dickholes, these emails are going EVERYONE including the Captains, Admirals, etc" x 5ish

tons of replies followed by out of office autoreplies followed by undeliverable message replies ... and this goes to EVERYONE in our department, including all the Captains and Admirals and such.

it's amazing how ONE simple act of stupidity can just TOTALLY snowball in NO time at all.

sad.

sad.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What?!?!?! You don't just love being part of the Navy's World Class Workforce? Not to worry, NMCI will fix all your problems, just ask those Admirals on that list.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha, NMCI. life has been one HUGE headache after another since NMCI showed up. however, after i sent a "how's about you all shut up and realize you're sending these emails to the Admirals" message out, i DID get a thank you response from some NMCI guy in charge of some mail servers, hehe.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You mean someone has actually *seen* a real NMCI seat? Thought they were like elves... mythical creatures and such.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
And this is one reason why you BCC everyone and not put everyone in the "to" list. Not to mention keeping everyones e-mail address safe.

If this is an actual listserv, it needs to be configured to only allow certain people to be able to send mail with it. Easy to configure with LDAP, I've done it many many times.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
And this is one reason why you BCC everyone and not put everyone in the "to" list. Not to mention keeping everyones e-mail address safe.

If this is an actual listserv, it needs to be configured to only allow certain people to be able to send mail with it. Easy to configure with LDAP, I've done it many many times.
Exactly!! Sounds like somebody else makes their living as a messaging admin! :D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
bbickers said:
Exactly!! Sounds like somebody else makes their living as a messaging admin! :D
Not any more, but I was an iPlanet messaging engineer for a while. The last few months of that 24/7 on-call as I was the only one that understood the systems.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
rocket_dj said:
Squids and technology...not always a good combination:confused:

Amen. Though mostly not as bad as engineers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts