TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to do my exhaust either this weekend or next. I'll be running catless with 2.5's off of the manifolds.

You guys who have a similar setup.....how did you hook up to the exhaust manifolds? Is there some kind of fitting that matches the ball nose on the stock manifolds? It would also have to match the stud spacing. Hmmm. I might have to make something. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
Toombs said:
So I'm getting ready to do my exhaust either this weekend or next. I'll be running catless with 2.5's off of the manifolds.

You guys who have a similar setup.....how did you hook up to the exhaust manifolds? Is there some kind of fitting that matches the ball nose on the stock manifolds? It would also have to match the stud spacing. Hmmm. I might have to make something. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks.

Mike
Mike,

I used the Hedman header extensions that you can get from Jegs for around $30. Here is the link: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_744777_-1_11535

I used these and cut the flare off and welded it to the end of the pipe that connects to the ball fitting. They come with flanges but you really need a two bolt flange. If you talk to the guys at Jegs they might have them. If you have access to a laser cutting machine you could make your own.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's perfect....thanks for the response!

I also found THESE that I might me able to use for the flanges. I'm sure the spacing on the holes won't match the studs in the manifold, but I may be able to modify (slot the holes with an end mill) this flange to work. If not I'll just make my own....seems like I end up doing a lot of that. :D

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
Toombs said:
That's perfect....thanks for the response!

I also found THESE that I might me able to use for the flanges. I'm sure the spacing on the holes won't match the studs in the manifold, but I may be able to modify (slot the holes with an end mill) this flange to work. If not I'll just make my own....seems like I end up doing a lot of that. :D

Mike

Yep, that flange should work. Just make sure your weld is pretty clean when you weld on the pipe flare and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, the Hedman product isn't coated or anything so you'll want to use some high temp exhaust paint on it when you put it on so that it doesn't turn into a pile of rust.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
MaddMartigan said:
Yep, that flange should work...
Doesn't the driver side have one stud on the manifold and one on the flange?

Let us know how it works out, Mike. I have been looking to do something similar.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the headsup about the flanges not being aluminized. I'll keep you guys posted, and I'll try to take some pics while we're doing it. I'm not sure if I'll get to it this weekend or next, but I'm hoping I'll find the time this Saturday.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
You know what they say about dumb questions,
Usually calls for a dumb answer . . . . . ;)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
tinman_72 said:
Doesn't the driver side have one stud on the manifold and one on the flange?

Let us know how it works out, Mike. I have been looking to do something similar.

On my 4.6 thunderbirds yes..

·
Banned
613 Posts
Z1232K said:
You know what they say about dumb questions,
Usually calls for a dumb answer . . . . . ;)

DUH! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a short update.....the exhaust plans got pushed back. I'm waiting to do the exhaust until I put the trans back in the car and have the car back together. I don't want to make a "best guess" at the routing only to find that I have to redo half of it once the transmission and driveshaft are reinstalled and the gas tank is fully in place.

I had originally planned on doing the exhaust before taking the trans out, but I switched up the order, and won't have the trans back in until I get my new converter.

I did have an interesting idea on how to do some of the exhaust.....I'll take lots of pics along the way, and I'm keeping a parts list in excel for reference. If my idea works, you'll all hear about it, and if it doesn't....well, I'll keep it to myself...LOL.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts