TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have or seen the Dyna(O?)Max catback system on our 4.6?? I see it in the summit catalog as the second choice to the flowmaster and its like only 206 bucks or something?! I was wondering what it sounds like of course and also what the mufflers look like in this kit.

Jake

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
yea.... my step brother has a 97 4.6L bird and he has the dynomax cat back system..... its one of the cheapest kits ive seen for the t-bird..

I personally do not like the sound of it.. not loud enough and a little mellow... as far as performance goes on his car i really cant tell cause he has a bunch of extra crap like a 200 lb stereo in the trunk and a bunch of other crap.. but i at least like it better than that factory exhaust system so i guess anything is better than OEM parts.... and as far as the mufflers go they are the same shape as the factory mufflers the big round cans.. lol

Id rather be a blue oval boy than a bowtie B*tch:headbang:

·
8,239 Posts
it sounds good once you break in the mufflers. Real real mellow though. Remember these cars have 3 cats, and even with no exhaust it is not very loud.

I have the system on my green 95, and it was a cheap deal for 199 bucks.

JH

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the kit, and I dont know what kind of sound your into put it is quiet. When I first installed it It sounded stock, I was pissed.
I removed the resonator too, which the kit is resonator back insread of cat back so if you remove resonaator you will need to make an adapter to the cat, no big deal, pipe and clamps,
As time went by it got loader as it broke in, but still way to quiet does not do the 4.6 justice unless you just want a little performance and no sound:leftright
Overall its cheap and a guess you could just swap mefflers to if you wanted more sound.

Also gut the third cat while exhaust is off, biggest restriction in exhaust.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put one of those kits on my t-bird a couple of years ago. Before I got it I had 40 series flowmasters on the stock pipes. (I drilled a couple of holes in them when they started rusting) The kit goes on ok, getting the mufflers lined up kinda sucked. The new pipe from the cats back makes a little more noise, but the mufflers make around barely more than stock. The tires seemed to spin a little easier. One of my few complaints about the kit is replacing a muffler if one rusts out or off in my case. So I just put the 40 series flowmasters back on. If I had the choice I probably would only order one if I absolutely had to. Just my opinion. The dynomax mufflers look pretty close to stock on the car.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have one too. Many people have them. I have had mine for a year and over a pretty tough winter and not any rust. I remember some people saying that their Flowmaster rusted out pretty easily. But my only experience is with Dynomax and I'm happy.

If you are looking for a noticable difference then stock then maybe you want Flowmaster. The dynomax kit barely looks any different then the stock setup from looking at it behind the car. The sound is close to stock. resinator. The flowmaster kit does that and the Dynomax kit doesnt but you just need a extra foot or so of pipe.

My friend has the flowmaster kit and you can hear that thing coming from around the block. I like it but I wasnt sure how my neighbors would every night when I come home late so thats why I was fine with the quite setup/. I also took off the

My reason for getting the Dynomax over the Flowmaster was it was $70 cheaper. And it flows better (supposedly, I dont have the facts handy but the #s are probably on their websites).

-Shawn

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh well I don't want them if they look like the big round cans we already have! Thats why I asked how they look because I really like the flat flowmaster look.

Jake

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
weswing04 said:
this is what the dynomax mufflers look like on embalmer's car..

Except mine is a little different from the mufflers FORWARD ---->:xpp:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Embalmer said:

Except mine is a little different from the mufflers FORWARD ---->:xpp:
just a tad :) I think imma replicate your system, but with high flow cats. Might even have midas do it...that is if its okay with you ;)

·
8,239 Posts
for God sakes there has to be someplace better than midas to do your work.

Around here Midas and Monroe are the biggest rip off places around.

If you want to dump some coin just buy the ART true dual setup and have an excellent setup and be done with it.

JH

·
Registered
159 Posts
Borla is to expensive, you can get a true dual set-up for that price.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
weswing04 said:

just a tad :) I think imma replicate your system, but with high flow cats. Might even have midas do it...that is if its okay with you ;)
Fine with me...I just ripped off the ART system:leftright

The local Midas does a good job here.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
JustinH said:
for God sakes there has to be someplace better than midas to do your work.

Around here Midas and Monroe are the biggest rip off places around.

If you want to dump some coin just buy the ART true dual setup and have an excellent setup and be done with it.

JH
I dont wanna spend that much...and no one else around here will do my exhaust. single 3" or dual 2.5"..

·
TCCoA Preferred Vendor
124 Posts
i charge a internet fee for using my pictures to make you own. LOL
please sent me my check by scanning it in to the computer and emailing it to me that way i can print it out and take it to the bank and cash it. as long as you are happy with what you have it should not matter to the rest of the internet. a bunch of mark VIII guys told me no one would do a exhaust for them because they said it would not fit so they just took my pictures to the and proved to them that it could be done. then they had the make the system based off of my setup. i think it is funny a lot of places say it cant be done. that makes me laft.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is very true!! Even with those pictures some places don't believe it. Or say it's to difficult.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I also have a Dynomax setup, but different than most.

I had the third cat removed and replaced with a Dual 2.5" inlet/3" single outlet. I then had the whole rear exhaust (from the rear Y) cut off with a turndown tip. Sounds real good.

More like a mustang with the Dynomax in the center of the car.
Less than $200. Most shops can do this for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts