TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Chris changed the intake on his Cougar, the PI intake has been removed, and this intake has been installed. Although $1k is a bit steep for a used intake in some cases, I think it is OK here, and the gains were certainly worth it. We took it to the dyno today, I retuned it, the graphs show the best pull from before, and the best pull from today, no other changes besides swapping intakes and associated hardware. It's still a stock NPI engine with PI cams, even has a stock throttle body and everything else still on it.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
I am sorry I have a question... Remember I am not a mechanic :) What intake did you put on?

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
WOW....! Very impressive KD. Does numbers are great considering the NPI engine...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,961 Posts
slayer said:
I am sorry I have a question... Remember I am not a mechanic :) What intake did you put on?

Sam
its the kind of intake that has two 60* twisted helical rotors that mesh so tightly, that when they rotate, they actually force air into the cylinders, starting at the intake :)

hint: look at the "extra" pulley on there:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
70 rwhp for $1000 is a great value... The "economy" cat has some fangs and claws now... sweet job..

But I kinda like the "blue pulley" version:



We do thangs a bit differnt here in Flor-eye-da

Kris,

Did you keep the tune conservative??? I think J set Timb's up to pull timing at higher IAT's... You guys have the same temps to deal with as we do... Any secrets???

-mike
 

·
Like Titles Matter
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
96 GoldBird said:


Did you keep the tune conservative??? I think J set Timb's up to pull timing at higher IAT's... You guys have the same temps to deal with as we do... Any secrets???

I do the same stuff for the temps. That pull in the graph wasn't as safe as I really wanted it. Lean + the blower being nice and cool makes power though. I added fuel to get it into the mid 11 AFR range and it still made 279 with no cool down so it didn't cost it much. It'd still be over 280 if we cooled it off again.
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
I'd love to do something like that. $1000 isnt bad for the svo. Is it safe to run something like that on a stock bottom end?

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
You had me for a bit.
I was looking at the upper elbow in the pic asking myself "wtf?" Then I looked at the dyno graph again and realized the torque curve was way too powerful. So I looked down at the engine pic again and then saw the pulley. :tongue:
Yup, you got me.
 

·
Like Titles Matter
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fdawg97lx said:
I'd love to do something like that. $1000 isnt bad for the svo. Is it safe to run something like that on a stock bottom end?

Frank
I think it is pretty safe as long as you keep the stock pulley on it, and don't get too aggressive with the tune. I see them for sale in that range on places like the corral from time to time. This one was missing the EEC(can't use without reflashing anyway), the injectors(already had some 38# here), and the fuel pump(car already had a 255lph). They will never make a lot of power, but they are an easy install and are reliable. DanU runs his car pretty hard, it even has increased compression from the headswap and it is still going strong after several months. From what I've seen you can spend a lot of $ porting these blowers, smaller pulley for more boost, ported heads, cams, headers, and they still won't make much over 300, so it isn't the blower to have if you want to make big power. It just makes way too much heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
That set-up makes a sweet street sleeper in an MN12... and will surprise a lot of stock GT's at the track..

280 hp and 330 tq to the wheels with the right drivetrain set up and tires will net some good track times...

Chris is gonna really enjoy it..


So what's the next step on the journey???? Renegade heads??? 9psi pulley??? You guys will be in forged bottom end territory pretty soon...

-mike
 

·
Like Titles Matter
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
96 GoldBird said:
That set-up makes a sweet street sleeper in an MN12... and will surprise a lot of stock GT's at the track..

280 hp and 330 tq to the wheels with the right drivetrain set up and tires will net some good track times...

Chris is gonna really enjoy it..


So what's the next step on the journey???? Renegade heads??? 9psi pulley??? You guys will be in forged bottom end territory pretty soon...

-mike
This car is probably done. He does have Hoosiers, and it might go to the track this week.

EDIT: I'd have to ask Chris for exact numbers, but I don't think he has $5500 tied up in the whole car. Not bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
kdanner said:

This car is probably done. He does have Hoosiers, and it might go to the track this week.

EDIT: I'd have to ask Chris for exact numbers, but I don't think he has $5500 tied up in the whole car. Not bad.
You guys sure know how to stretch a buck.... I look forward to seeing the track times...

-mike
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts
$1000 and safe for stock bottom end.......

sell my wheels and tires.....any buyers here???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
guitar maestro said:


its the kind of intake that has two 60* twisted helical rotors that mesh so tightly, that when they rotate, they actually force air into the cylinders, starting at the intake :)

hint: look at the "extra" pulley on there:D
dang, I was looking too. I figured it was something like that but was looking for a shiny or at least silver thing sticking out... Nice numbers...

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Only 70 HP and a 300 RWHP limit? Is that a Tbird Super Coupe supercharger adapted to an intake? The intake still appears to be composite. Still sounds like plenty of horses to me. Nice clean install.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
Very nice KD!! Nice numbers!

Most would be hard pressed to find it if they did not know what they were looking for!:cool:

Dumb question, what di you use to paint the blower? Or was it painted when you go it? Looks nice!
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top