TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
... Shame on you for picking on your son. (LOL)

Youthful Exuberance is no match for Age and Treachery!! :rofl:

"Sure it's Stock... Wanna race?"

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Justin at Walsh does a good job tuning. They use SCT software these days. The car was tuned with Diablosport previously, but apparently that company doesn’t support chips anymore.

Youthful Exuberance is no match for Age and Treachery!! :rofl:

"Sure it's Stock... Wanna race?"
Yea, I hope to have some fun like that on Sunday ... let these guys think they're gonna whoop up on that pathetic old 4.6L Thunderbird. :D

They won't be fooled for long :tongue:

I had a scare with it yesterday. I went to start it and it backfired and started "clicking" or "clacking". I shut it down and called Rob he said pull the belt and see if the sound goes away. So I did and the motor ran fine. So we trouble-shot it down to the pulley system. The blower turns by hand freely (we thought it might be the blower coupling). So, no problem there.

Long story short, just to be safe, I had it towed down to Robs and he seems to think that the stock tensioner may be undersized for the load that the new engine puts on it. So it's good to go for Sunday, I'll look at getting a better tensioner in the spring.

I'd look at what the later ones used, like the Cobra, and see if it can fit.

I can't wait to hear results!

:grin2:

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Speaking of "hearing the results", when I observed the final dyno pull on Tuesday, the exhaust sound from my car was noticeably louder than it had been with with the old setup. I guess that makes sense, since the new heads, cams and blower are processing a LOT more air than the old ones did!

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
The plan for today is to (very carefully) drive the car home from the dyno shop, unload it, clean it, and drive it to winter storage. We do have dry roads today, but the high this afternoon will be in the mid 30s, so great caution will be required!

Well, I got three of those four things done yesterday. Walsh wanted to keep the car through the day to refine cold start and drivability. Did not get to fine tune transmission parameters - that will have to wait until the spring. The calibration felt pretty smooth on the drive home. Anyway, the car is finally clean and ready to go to winter storage. But, the roads here are now icy, so it'll have to wait for a dry road day hopefully in the near future.

Yea, I hope to have some fun like that on Sunday ... let these guys think they're gonna whoop up on that pathetic old 4.6L Thunderbird. :D

They won't be fooled for long :tongue:

I had a scare with it yesterday. I went to start it and it backfired and started "clicking" or "clacking". I shut it down and called Rob he said pull the belt and see if the sound goes away. So I did and the motor ran fine. So we trouble-shot it down to the pulley system. The blower turns by hand freely (we thought it might be the blower coupling). So, no problem there.

Long story short, just to be safe, I had it towed down to Robs and he seems to think that the stock tensioner may be undersized for the load that the new engine puts on it. So it's good to go for Sunday, I'll look at getting a better tensioner in the spring.
Q: if the issue is the belt going loose because its forcing the tensioner out of the way, could you go with a slighlty shorter belt to place the tensioner closer to its "max tension" setting?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
My son made the T-Bird for me quite a few years ago. He was working at a commercial art shop at the time. It is laser cut from some lightweight material.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
It was a lot of time, work and expense, but I’m very happy with the outcome. I would have been satisfied with 525 RWHP, but I was hoping for 540 and got it. Given the auto trans and IRS, the power at the crankshaft must be 660-675, which is a lot from 305 cubic inches and moderate boost!

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I think the engine has more in it. The current tune is very safe, which is good, and I need to learn to drive the car at its new power level. But, I did buy a smaller pulley which will deliver 1-2 psi more boost!

Hopefully you have a drag radial on the rear full time. I never leave home without them.

Al

Discussion starter · #38 ·
My car currently has Nitto NT555 Gen 2 street tires, but I was told to install drag radials before bringing it back for transmission tuning in the spring. I was thinking NT555Rs because I take the car on longer trips, and the 555R's tread life will be better. Plus, they are better in the rain that NT05Rs. Obviously, dry traction will not be quite as good, but the 555Rs feel like a better overall choice to me.

I run NITTO NT05R's. I'm looking at some MT ET S/S tires as a replacement.
I run the MT ET S/S tires. I like them alot. The only downside with the 15" is even at 42 psi, there is noticeable side to side sway when taking corners.

I still have a set of the old style M/T ET Street SS 275/40-17 on the Toyota.

I used to run Nitto DR's in the same size. They lasted 20k miles, but nowhere near the grip of the M/T's. For a car with a lot of power, have to go with M/T's, mileage be damned. Having the back end kick out at speed is scary.

Al

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.