TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Do 3.73's require a dyno tune or can the stock cpu handle the upgrade? my car has th 3.27's now. I did a search but couldn't dig anything up. Also does anyone know where to get a used pumpkin rear or a new one at reasonable price? Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol thanks for having mercy. guess i will have to look into a j mod then also. will the driveshaft be an issue with the 3.73's?

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
The driveshaft is a crapshoot. Some people don't have vibe issues with the stock shaft. Others do. I swapped a 93 Mark VIII shaft in when I did 3.73s because I had mad vibes at around 75-80 mph on 3.27s and the stock shaft. I don't have any vibe problems anymore. (93 was when the Mark had the 1 piece shaft.) Your other options are Dennis Reinhard (For a Metal Matrix Composite, MMC Driveshaft) or Denny's which a few guys around here use. I'd go with the Denny's personally, though they're both quality units.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My 3.73's give my driveshaft vibes above 75 or so depending on the day. [email protected] and still untuned.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats not bad at all. How does the j mod do in normal driving conditions? I drive from va beach to newport news everyday ( 45 minutes highway time one way ) so I was concerned the shifts would be a little crazy. If its not too bad then I will probably do a j mod in the near future with a trans cooler as well. Mt trans has 110,000 on it. Am I still good to go or should I be wary? So far it still shifts great.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I did the Jmod with 107k on the clock, I'm at 117k now and no problems. Add a cooler if you havent already, and if you intend on racing with the 3.73s use a lower 1-2 spring. Mine was perfect without one for the 3.27s, but after the 3.73s 2nd gear was a blaze of tiresmoke. Added a lower spring and all is good.
It's fine to drive around the way mine is now - I don't think twice about having my grandparents in the car or anything like that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok cool. i just didnt want any neck snapping shifts while pulling up to the drive through window or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
ok cool. i just didnt want any neck snapping shifts while pulling up to the drive through window or anything like that.
those are quite fun in AverageJoe's Tbird with the 3.73s and no lower 1-2 :D

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
Only does it when you're WOT, and I had my springs removed with a chip. Normal driving it's snappy but nothing like that...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, well it looks like i will start collecting parts for a pumpkin swap, j mod, and gear install. i hear the marauder t/c is a good mod as well, but that would require tuning correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
i hear the marauder t/c is a good mod as well, but that would require tuning correct?
JL says no tuning required, just a big increase in stall speed, and better times, assuming you've got the traction to go with it

·
Registered
974 Posts
When I swapped in my 3.73's it was ok with out a tune bu not that great. I'm also running shorter tires so that may have played into it. But it wasn't shifting at the right spots really. Once I got SCT dyno tuned it was a nigth and day difference. You don't need it but I would HIGHLY reccomend it. My car shifts in the perfect sports now where as before it would usualyl go in most gears too low and bog down. SCT DYNO TUNES RULE!!!!

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
if your car has 3.27's stock your car can go up to 3.73's with no tuning issues at all. anything less than 3.27's stock and you need a tune to adjust the shift points and top speed.

Frank

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yea won't really need a tune but it will be better. I had 3.27's and went to 3.73's, perfectly drivable but definately much better with the tune. Do your self a favor and get a tune.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
95BLKLSC said:
Yea won't really need a tune but it will be better. I had 3.27's and went to 3.73's, perfectly drivable but definately much better with the tune. Do your self a favor and get a tune.
what exactly did the tune change? i have a friend with a 96 bird and he went from 3.27 to 3.73 and absolutly nothing changed at all except the car accelerating faster.

Frank

·
Registered
974 Posts
I found my car wwas definately drivable, not a problem with that. But it was just shifting in to gear to low a lot of the time. Not upshifting as easy as it should. Nothign major but just not quite right. After the SCT dyno tune the shifting is 10 times better then it ever was stock. I'm not talking about the firmness but the shift points and just overall driveability. Made a huge difference. Maby it was just the stock program wasn't so great. For me it made a big difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts