TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a relatively stupid question, but I really don't understand the point of a dyno, or dyno tune. Is that what it exactly does, tune the car? I hear about it often in person and on the boards, but like I said, I'm not 100% sure what exactly it does.

Would it hurt to have my car put on a dyno? I really don't have much done performace wise, except fake duals, and some 3.27's that will be installed shortly. I guess it wouldnt hurt to run it? What do you think?

Thanks for straightening this out for me!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
the point of a dyno-tune is to reprogram the computer to certain specifications, and to do it as accurately and precisely as possible......mail-order tunes via chips/flashers from competent tuners will get very very close, but some modified cars will benefit more from tuning on the dyno........properly establishing the A/F ratio across the RPMs is a big part of getting a dyno tune.....a proper one will be nearly perfectly flat at a certain point

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
The dynomometer that we usually talk about here simply measures the horsepower and torque at the rear wheels. It can also record the air/fuel ratio across the entire RPM range. This is very helpful when trying to tune a relatively modified car.

Dyno tuning is the process by which a "tuner" adjusts parameters such as ignition and fuel curves (and much more) from the dyno readings.

Since you're car is stock right now, there really isn't much since in putting it on the dyno, unless you're just wondering how much rwhp/rwtq the car is making. But with a stock 3.8L N/A, it'll be pretty depressing.

-Rod

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
racecougar said:
But with a stock 3.8L N/A, it'll be pretty depressing.

-Rod
I already knew that. Thanks.

Thanks for explaining it.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
racecougar said:
unless you're just wondering how much rwhp/rwtq the car is making. But with a stock 3.8L N/A, it'll be pretty depressing.

-Rod
that's putting it mildly.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going for speed anyways, so it really doesn't matter. Im used to all the jokes anyways from our local club members.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts