TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to sound like a complete n00b boys, lol, but i'm just a tad curious as to how to do a run in these cars???? If you floor it in 3rd it will just down shift to 2nd. Our local car club is having a session tomo, and i don't want to look retarded, lol

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Two options. You can make a manual 2nd gear pull which will give you some pretty skewed torque numbers down low, but the most common practice is to get it up to where it won't downshift to 1st and just floor it. You can't take it up above the 3-2 downshift point to lock it into 3rd to do a pull unless you're already tuned to remove the top speed limiter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so just do the whole run in 2nd? Or put it in drive, with o/d off, but don't let it shift 1st?

and just outta curiosity what is the stock 3-2 downshift set at

i hate auto's, lol

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I never did get this, but, when your car is in 1st gear, the transmissions gears multiply the torque... does the dyno compensate for that??? I would think that a tranny with direct drive (not over drive, that would give you lower tq numbers) would give the correct amount of torque??

·
Registered
347 Posts
The correct way is to run it in 3rd gear for the entire run, by manipulating the EEC. Any other gear does not provide a 1:1 ratio and your numbers are worthless.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Derek said:
The correct way is to run it in 3rd gear for the entire run, by manipulating the EEC. Any other gear does not provide a 1:1 ratio and your numbers are worthless.
Meaning there wouldn't be a shift (gear change) anywhere in the graph.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok now you have a baseline, let the "moddddddddddddddding begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Yep, it was kinda fun watching the mudstain boys trying to figure out how to dyno their automatics, I drive up and flash the computer to a shift pattern I made while they strap the bird down. I tell the guy to take it to 15mph then punch it and hold it, he looked at me like I was insane but did it and everyone had to check out the xcalibrator afterwards to see how I did it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok now you have a baseline, let the "moddddddddddddddding begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, for sure...........i get my 3.73's w/posi in next weekend

and that shop does SCT so i'll be goin back in about a month to get a chip

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, and there was a '95 5.0L stang there that only made 160rwhp and 226rwtq, lmao, i ripped on him for about 20min, hehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts