TCCoA Forums banner

dynomax cat back

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Zep5.0 
#1 ·
dynomax doesnt even list the cougar-tbird catback anymore.
havent found it for sale in the usual places either. was told years
ago that it didnt give more power, only noise.any direct fit mufflers
that look like stock for 94-7 ?

#3 ·
NO ONE has a 17379 dynomax kit or any walker mufflers anymore. walker has deleted
our year cars from its catalog and is no longer supplying parts. i talked to walker and
looked everywhere i can think of. my jobber doesnt even have old stock.

#5 · (Edited)
brings them up for 96 & 97, but not 94 & 95. hmm ! are they less quiet than stock? my factory
exhaust is in great shape. no salty winters in washington i.guess. not even bolts in the motor compartment
are rusty. a joy to take all the suspension off too. i would like to at least know the engine is running. i had put the dynomax kit on my first 94 and the 96. did keep the original though.

#7 ·
Nothing is less quiet than stock. I don't see why the 96-97 parts won't work on a 94-95, at least as far as the cat-back part is concerned.

94-95 has a resonator after the 3rd cat, and the 96-97 has a straight pipe in it's place. It's a funny looking pipe, hardly looks factory at all, more like an afterthought.

As far as gaining power and sound, the Tru-bends mandrel bent 2 1/4" system, with some nice Borla mufflers, installed by a local muffler shop is the way to go. As already mentioned in your other exhaust thread. :rolleyes:

Al

Reactions: irvin
#8 ·
does anyone have install instruction for the truebends pipes . i have access to all i need to install, but want the mufflers to look stock. as far as walker even the old catalog shows a different part # for the 96-7 cars . go figure ! thought about swapping the resonator out for the later pipe.

#9 · (Edited)
There are no install instructions. A good custom exhaust shop can figure it out. Hell, ANYONE can figure it out! It's like putting together an easy puzzle. If you go that way, you will have true dual exhaust, which will help the power. Add an H-pipe for better low-end torque and deeper sound.

Although a resonator usually changes the sound, there was no difference between my 95 and 97. Not worth the effort to do just that.

As far as muffler looking like stock, I just looked at the back of my car, you can't even SEE the mufflers under there. Dude, you're killing me!

There are plenty of old exhaust threads that mention mufflers that mimic the stock configuration. Good information in there, might want to research them.

Al

#10 · (Edited)
im kind of an anal bastard in some respects. i used to show 2 68 cougars with
the cougar club of america. i was obsessed with originality and nos parts. all my other
cougars and merc have been this way too. this car will never measure up to my others.
its rust free and straight, but fell short in the details, which gives me something to do in
my semi-retirement. after 2 months searching i finally have 4 95-7 34 spoke wheels to put on
and it will be close to being mostly done. it will never be NICE like my other 2.but i can get caught in the rain w/o throwing a **** fit !!

so just to clear something up , how much cutting and welding is there to be done on the pipes? seems a shame to ruin the aluminizing.
thought it looked like a mini h pipe on thos pipes in the t b website.

#11 ·
Actually, it's a shame to touch the stock exhaust, since it's mostly stainless and lasts almost forever. I would just leave it alone. I've left all of my MN-12's exhaust's stock.

For the Tru-bends, the muffler shop will have to weld all those pipes together and fit them. If I was getting some, I would go stainless and have at least one set of flanges. Aluminized piping is no gem - the name fits it perfectly.

Al

#12 ·
ive done work on the exhaust cleaning it. youre right. its already lasted 26 years..cougars and tbirds
are nice driving, well mannered, quiet cars on the road. and darn comfy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.