TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these plugs out yet? are they even worth buying or should i just stick with the regular autolite plugs?

Any info on these would be great

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing...

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Don't waste your money. Get Autolite or OEM Motorcraft. As another, much more experienced member here once told me, unless you have a blower, nitrous, or some serious tuning, debating spark plugs on a stock 4.6 is futile. Personally, I use Autolite AR764's. I check them every 10,000 miles. See this thread.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm runnin motorcraft platinums right now..

·
3,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Waste of money. Double plats or copper are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Don't waste your money. Get Autolite or OEM Motorcraft. As another, much more experienced member here once told me, unless you have a blower, nitrous, or some serious tuning, debating spark plugs on a stock 4.6 is futile. Personally, I use Autolite AR764's. I check them every 10,000 miles. See this thread.
I use those Autolites too!

·
3,734 Posts
I use those Autolites too!
They are pretty good so far. Little to no electrode wear so far after 10,000 miles. They are just white.:rolleyes: They are lasting longer than I thought they would. I thought coppers were done by 15,000 miles. Hell, I had to open the gap by a thousandth or two on a few. While we're on the subject, anyone else's plugs coming out frosted white while running on 87 unleaded with the 10% ethanol mix? I'm pulling over 21 inHg of vacuum, so I couldn't imagine there being a vacuum leak somewhere. Besides, I replaced all of the under hood rubber tubes a little while back. MAF is clean, no codes at all. I wish I had a scanner so I can see the LTFT's and STFT's.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree, don't waste your money. I had them and didn't notice any different than the stock plugs, power or gas wise. I even had to replace one because it went bad after 2 months.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
They are pretty good so far. Little to no electrode wear so far after 10,000 miles. They are just white.:rolleyes: They are lasting longer than I thought they would. I thought coppers were done by 15,000 miles. Hell, I had to open the gap by a thousandth or two on a few. While we're on the subject, anyone else's plugs coming out frosted white while running on 87 unleaded with the 10% ethanol mix? I'm pulling over 21 inHg of vacuum, so I couldn't imagine there being a vacuum leak somewhere. Besides, I replaced all of the under hood rubber tubes a little while back. MAF is clean, no codes at all. I wish I had a scanner so I can see the LTFT's and STFT's.
My plugs are like that, too. I always thought maybe new O2's might change that, but the Bird runs great and gets good mileage so I leave stuff like that alone. You got a pic of your plugs? I'm running Autolite plats in mine and I'll get a pic of my plugs - they've been in over a year and a half now with about 15K miles.

·
3,734 Posts
My plugs are like that, too. I always thought maybe new O2's might change that, but the Bird runs great and gets good mileage so I leave stuff like that alone. You got a pic of your plugs? I'm running Autolite plats in mine and I'll get a pic of my plugs - they've been in over a year and a half now with about 15K miles.
Yes, I actually do in this post. I did replace my original O2's about 2,000 miles before that picture was taken. My dad, an experienced mechanic, says it's because of the ethanol, which is causing me to run a little leaner than usual.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Yes, I actually do in this post. I did replace my original O2's about 2,000 miles before that picture was taken. My dad, an experienced mechanic, says it's because of the ethanol, which is causing me to run a little leaner than usual.
Those look normal for any fuel injected engine that's running properly.
JL

·
3,734 Posts
Those look normal for any fuel injected engine that's running properly.
JL
Even with a frosted white electrode like that? Guitar Maestro said it looks like it's running too lean like I have a vacuum leak. So maybe it's nothing to worry about for now? Either way, I'm swapping in a PI intake manifold! :D

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Even with a frosted white electrode like that? Guitar Maestro said it looks like it's running too lean like I have a vacuum leak. So maybe it's nothing to worry about for now? Either way, I'm swapping in a PI intake manifold! :D
My plugs have had that coloring every time I've pulled them.
JL

·
Registered
400 Posts
Spark plugs are spark plugs. I use the Motorcraft Platinum in my T-bird. I will however upgrade to Bosch plugs for my PI Teksid once thats finished but I am also going to be running a decent shot of nitrous.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts