TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Placed in Misc. since it isn't MN12 related)

I'm getting ready to rebuild the E4OD I have for my dually (7.3L IDI NA (for now) Diesel with a Baumannator TCS controller) and there are gobs of upgrades available. Things like:

6 Pinion Steel Front Planet Upgrade
6 Pinion Steel Front Planet Upgrade
6 Pinion Reverse Planet Upgrade Planetary
Overdrive Roller Clutch Race Upgrade
Etc...

All the upgrades add up to about $1000 in parts.

I will go with the TransGo "Tugger" kit, install the updated "bearing type" center support, and use quality rebuild parts along with a DD converter, but do I "need" the other heavy duty parts (based on my below application)?

The most this truck will see would be my LSC or cougar on a car trailer. No real heavy towing and it only puts out 185 hp w/360 ft lbs tq (don't laugh, that was back in the late 80's!!)

I know "need" is relative, but any input from the "tranny guru's" would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You have a E4OD in a 84? I guess thats why you need the Baumannator. I am sure dirtydog would know the best stuff to do here.

On a side note, isnt the 7.3 IDI almost a direct swap in place of the 6.9l? Did you notice a big difference in power? I know it seems like all the older 6.9l trucks I drive feel slow as can be! Sorry for the off-topic post, but I am curious!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, definitely slow compared to modern diesels. In the NA type they were EXTREMLY underpowered :

6.9L IDI NA: 170 HP @ 3300 rpm /315 lb-ft. torque @ 1400 rpm
7.3L IDI NA: 180 HP @ 3300 rpm/345 lb-ft. torque @ 1400 rpm
7.3L IDI Turbo: 190 HP @ 3000 rpm/388 lb-ft. torque @ 1400 rpm

Everyone says bolting on even a simple turbo setup REALLY helps both with torque and fuel economy.

7.3L IDI Banks Sidewinder: 260 HP @ 3000 rpm/503 lb-ft. torque @ 1500 rpm

My 6.9L has the notorious cracked block around the block heater. So I've rebuilt a 7.3L and bought a “good” (we all know how that goes….) E4OD out of a ’90 7.3L diesel. I’m getting ready to rebuild it, hence the question.

I don’t have it installed yet as there are other priorities right now…. Ain’t it always something!!

The 6.9L came with a C-6 and 4.10 gears!!! That works out to 2800 rpm at 65 mph!! :beek: The E4OD will drop it down to 2000 rpm. :D

But they will never be comparable to the modern diesel engines. But I can almost buy 8 injectors for what one injector costs for a PS Diesel. :zdevil:

1989 7.3L IDI Diesel Injector: $27.89 ea
2000 7.3L PS Diesel Injector: $158.89 ea w/$112.50 core

Sorry for the novel, just thought I would share. :thumbsup:

Here's the ole dog needing the transplant:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would look at the "NEED" catagory in a special way. There is not a need for upgrades on the entire thing. I would step up for the converter just to increase the surface area from 25 or so to 150+ inches of locked area. Just remember, heat is the biggest enemy. Keep it cool and use some good lube. Not a professional tranny guy but I suggest Royal Purple. Put it in my 100+ tranny several years ago and it is still going. Not strong, but still going. I also got an additional 30K out of my M5R2 on my SC by switching out to it at 70K.

I have a 6.9 IDI in my bronco. It has the torque of a big block of the same era. Not a land speed record holder, but like you said...parts is cheap. Not to metion, I WAS getting 18 mpg before the rebuild. We shall see after I get it timed.

SWS

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would look at the "NEED" catagory in a special way. There is not a need for upgrades on the entire thing. I would step up for the converter just to increase the surface area from 25 or so to 150+ inches of locked area. Just remember, heat is the biggest enemy. Keep it cool and use some good lube. Not a professional tranny guy but I suggest Royal Purple. Put it in my 100+ tranny several years ago and it is still going. Not strong, but still going. I also got an additional 30K out of my M5R2 on my SC by switching out to it at 70K.

I have a 6.9 IDI in my bronco. It has the torque of a big block of the same era. Not a land speed record holder, but like you said...parts is cheap. Not to metion, I WAS getting 18 mpg before the rebuild. We shall see after I get it timed.

SWS
how hard was that swap?

my 91 bronco has a worn out 351 and e4od and i cant decide what to replace it with :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not hard, just time consuming. You can go to my supermotors page or Fullsizebronco.com for the details. I will tell you that if you are going to add a turbo that is not a factory addition or a direct aftermarket swap, you are going to have to make some cuts...I would do it again in a heartbeat though.

SWS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts