TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

im planning on going e85 in the near future not that ill be using this equiptment but its interesting. since i need to build a fuel system ill be setting it up for e85 as in my area there building more and more e85 stations and with the high octane 100+ and its intercooling ability (cold to the touch) its will be usefull also with the price of gasoline skyrocketing

also alot of the guys running e85 now have gone with a screened fuel filter to prevent clog up of paper fuel filters

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keep us all posted.
I am very interested in this.

I looked into this for my car over a year ago but only found one fuel station in about a 100 mile radius that sold E85.

I would love to do the conversion myself, not so much because I think environmentally it will make any difference but I would love to tell OPEC to shove barrels of oil up their A$$. :mad:

That and after learning the potential benefits for performance, of course. :D

If it became viable I would do it as well.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
closest E85 station to me is about 4 hours away.. lol i might as well go visit the rest of my family while im in miami then.. lol

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
closest E85 station to me is about 4 hours away.. lol i might as well go visit the rest of my family while im in miami then.. lol
all E85 stations in FL are in govt facilities.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
there better be a better reason to go to dade county than ethanol, i dont consider that a reason to go.

and your car cant run ethanol.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
there better be a better reason to go to dade county than ethanol, i dont consider that a reason to go.

and your car cant run ethanol.
well yea.. i dont have the 600 to have my front suspension redone... let alone convert it to ethanol...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
and its intercooling ability (cold to the touch)
It evaporates faster than gas, so you do get the cooling effect, but being "cool to the touch" doesn't mean anything.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
E85 sucks! It's one of the reasons that food prices are so high. Our cars and us are now competing on the same level of the food chain!

It does have it's benefits though. Primarily a higher octane rating depending on composition and source (perhaps one reason why it evaporates faster) typically in the 100 - 105 range compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 87 - 93. And then again it's less efficient than gas providing lower miles per gallon.

There are a lot of pros and cons to E85.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have been running 100% E85 for several months for its performance advantages. It is GREAT for high compression engines that would need racing gas other wise, and for any boosted engine running over 6 or so psi.

E85 is between 105 and 108 octane, but with the cooling effect of the ethanol, performs more like 115 racing gas. It has most of the benefits of methanol, but very few of the disadvantages. It is only slightly corrosive with the 15 % gas and added inhibitors that are added at the pump.

You do need to make sure your complete fuel system can handle 30-35 % more fuel demand for WOT use. E85 will consume about 20 % more during cruising in most Flex Fuel vehicles, but between 10-15 % more on engines set up to only use E85.

I am running 10.0-1 compression, and 15 psi of boost on E85, and NO detonation with normal timing, and no retard. I do have a boost retard, and started out with a max of 28 degrees, and pulling down to 18 at 15 psi, but gradually backed the retard down to 0, then went to 32 degrees total. The cooling effect of E85 is noticeable when looking at the bottom of my carb enclosure after a drive.

Here are 2 pages I put together covering the use of E85 in performance applications.
Advantages of E85:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/e85.htm

Converting to E85 with a carb:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/carbtech.htm

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
theres 9 stations in wa now or soon to be opened anyways according to the e85 sites one in sunnyside, 2 in the tri cities, seaview, longview, and base. The nearest too me is base and my bro can get on base. there are more too come.
and food prices arent high because of E85 its high because of the high gas prices (food has to be delived) also brazil and south american countries have more flex fuel viechles than us so apperently there having sucsess with e85.

he rumor i keep hearing is that gas prices are low and these are the good ol days of cheap gasoline dcompared to what its going to be in a year?

the flex tech cpu system is running about 700 for the v8 versions but if gas prices skyrocket that will pay for itself quick

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know what dude, be the test vehicle. Drive on E85 without all those fancy attachments and see what happens.

Shoot, only way too really find out.
well im going to upgrade the lines, filter, regulator and i have bigger injectors anyways along with needing to tune this car after its boosted ill just make sure everything is compatible before i buy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello,
I may be wrong but I thought you would need hardened valve seats to run E85?

Nick

·
Registered
674 Posts
you need hardened valve seats to run unleaded :)

And i've run E85 in my DD 95 'scort. Runs great on it, but fuel milage slips and the savings per gallon are lost to a drop in MPG... It costs me 10 cents a mile on unleaded and 11 cents a mile on E85, even though the E85 is 20 cheaper per gallon...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello,
Well I guess that sets me straight. Thanks, I always wondered about that when a teacher at UTI told me that.

Thanks,

Nick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts