TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a bit of research on e85 on n/a 2vs. Seems like a pretty solid gain with a set of PI heads (bump in compression). This guy, mach1soldier made 300rwhp and 317 ft lbs with pi heads, comp 270 cams, pi intake, and bolt-ons on his 97 thunderbird. That's fantastic! I wonder what he would get with fully ported heads, LT headers, and actually spin it out past 5500 rpm! Other than the costly upgrade to fuel pump, 42 lbs injectors and dyno tune what do you guys think? I'm thinkin the gains won't be nearly as good if he didn't have the bump in compression from the pi heads.

Here's the link to his post, if anyone has more info on it, please post!

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc/1305229-e85-na-2-valve-anyone.html

Also another question I have which I haven't found yet is some of these mustang guys are not upgrading they're fuel pumps and injectors and just running a tune. Is this dangerous or are they just limiting power output?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
And for what it's worth, a fuel pump and injectors isn't all that expensive. I probably spent a whopping $250 on my fuel system upgrades. My fuel pump was going bad, so I said screw it and installed a single 255 lph.

I love where the guy made a dyno run with the same max timing settings he could do on 93 on E85 and still made 20 more hp. I think that's plenty of proof right there.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah very impressive. I'm definitely thinking a future mod. Only thing is I'm not running PI heads so I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and throw a set on as it will really benefit the e85. But by how much I'm not really sure..

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Wow, 300 with stock pi heads.
theres something you are not being told about the set up.

My crap is on e85.

If there isn't any mystery parts in that bird, I have 40 more HP in my set up.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It's all there in the thread. 12:1 compression, comp 270s (equal to about a MHS Stage 3-3.5 cam), kooks midlengths, no cats, 2.5 inch true duals through magnaflow straight thru race mufflers, and StockMod heads not stock PI heads--slight difference. It made more power because it is a more serious combo, plain and simple. Who here is running 12:1 compression or higher? I see very few hands raised....

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
compression will always net more power. So will E85. If it wasn't for the ultra crappy BSFC, I'd run it. But if you're N/A, you might as well do real compression----the octane/knock resistance will be there if you run E85, why not take real advantage of it. With a measely 10.5:1, you're not even close to utilizing the knock resistance of E85, so the only gains from E85 are really coming from it's faster burn rate.

Did I mention the BSFC is crappy? Ugh. My engine will be lucky to break 10mpg on pump gas; I'd probably get 4-6mpg on E85 :rofl:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Well, what ever HP gains I've gotten, it translates to 2 additional mph at the end of the quarter mile, consistently.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts

My crap is on e85.

Rick,

Your set up is not the same as his. And aren't you running TFS heads???

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
there's something you are not being told about the set up.

My crap is on e85.

Rick,

Your set up is not the same as his. And aren't you running TFS heads???
Yes, he's running TFS heads.

·
1,255 Posts
That guy has stockmodifiedforgedpowerplusoversizetitaniumvalvedcastiron
stock heads.;):eek::rolleyes::cool::tongue::confused:
what ever that is.

And I think I have another .3 seconds in my crap box.
If it'd only stop raining here.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
That guy has stockmodifiedforgedpowerplusoversizetitaniumvalvedcastiron
stock heads.;):eek::rolleyes::cool::tongue::confused:
what ever that is.

And I think I have another .3 seconds in my crap box.
If it'd only stop raining here.
ROFL!!!
True,
But I'm also assuming he doesn't have an extra 25 cubic inches and TFS Heads. I wonder what the HP to cubic inch numbers would look like?

Just curious.

·
1,255 Posts
:)I'm still wondering what stockmodified heads are.:)

But if his numbers are true, I'll be at 350 hp by the shootout.

Yes 323ci.

·
1,255 Posts
I've checked out their site.

I am exaggerating on my future HP figure.
(a little);)
mabey

I think.

E85 FTW

1 - 20 of 36 Posts