TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
It's doable. You'll need a better fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a tune. To see any noticeable gains, you'll want more compression. You'll gain maybe 11% of your current horsepower. You'll burn about 20% more fuel as compared to gasoline. At 9.2:1 compression, I did notice a difference, but not much. Keep in mind, this is with two extra cylinders. lol Now that I have 11.2:1 compression, the difference between E85 and E10 is more pronounced, especially at lower RPM. It feels more torquey.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
My coyote f150 is e85/flex fuel ready, I just noticed the new station down the road has it...considering trying it

·
3,734 Posts
My coyote f150 is e85/flex fuel ready, I just noticed the new station down the road has it...considering trying it
Don't expect much of a difference unless you get tuned to take full advantage of the extra anti-knock capabilities.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Don't expect much of a difference unless you get tuned to take full advantage of the extra anti-knock capabilities.
I'm thinking definately no tunes, ford is getting very serious about that stuff, back to stock or not, these days, a tune is an instantly voided warranty, no thanks...truck has plenty of power, stock is nice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mgino96tbird46 makes some good observations. in addition though to more compression, you also need a better timing curve as well. one more thing, if oyu convert to E85, i suggest wiring in the ford flex fuel sensor to your system, and adjust your tune accordingly. i would also suggest pushing your compression ratio to no more than 10.5:1 so you can still use the lighter fluid we currently call gasoline. and yes there is a madness to my method, unless you are going to stay with in range of a station that carries E85, you may need to switch back to E10, so you should have that capability should yo decide to go on a long trip. just my opinion.

·
3,734 Posts
Mgino96tbird46 makes some good observations. in addition though to more compression, you also need a better timing curve as well. one more thing, if oyu convert to E85, i suggest wiring in the ford flex fuel sensor to your system, and adjust your tune accordingly. i would also suggest pushing your compression ratio to no more than 10.5:1 so you can still use the lighter fluid we currently call gasoline. and yes there is a madness to my method, unless you are going to stay with in range of a station that carries E85, you may need to switch back to E10, so you should have that capability should yo decide to go on a long trip. just my opinion.
That's pretty much what I do, sans the flex fuel sensor. Even at 11.2:1, I can still use E10, it just doesn't run as good as it would on E85 due to a less agressive timing schedule.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's pretty much what I do, sans the flex fuel sensor. Even at 11.2:1, I can still use E10, it just doesn't run as good as it would on E85 due to a less agressive timing schedule.
its not a bad way to go, i just tend to prefer everything work as seamlessly as possible, preferably to the point where no one can tell what fuel i have in the tank. but what ever works for you is the best way to go.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts