TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is out of a 95 sc with premium sound. im no audio expert, but the harnesses look modified so it can be used with the factory radio connectors. will this work in a bird that doesnt come with premium sound? if so, i am able to pull the factory radio and connect this one up. if not, then ill need the help of an expert. its a sony cdx-gt100 model, if it makes a difference.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
It will work, you just need to do some rewiring. The black connector contains all the speaker wiring, rather than being in the gray connector. If I were you, and want to play it safe, go get another harness for the radio for a car without the premium sound. That way you won't have a hack job and the chance of anything going wrong.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
My suggestion - pull the radio out of your 'Bird and if the harness on the stereo matches up to the car - then your set. And if not, head to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or some audio place, and get a harness that will work. Then cut off what would connect to the SC w/premium sound and attach the new harness that you purchased and put it in the 'Bird.

Get all of that? haha
-Melon

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
the grey plug will work....the black won't.
you need to get another "wiring" kit, if you want plug and play.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yea, I'm worried about the same thing (almost exactly)

I'm going to be pulling the stereo out of the LE and putting it in the LX. The LE came with the factory Premium Sound and the Sony that I put in it is wired into the Premium sound set up. The LX does not have Premium sound, so I don't think its gonna be a plug and play. Let me know how it goes Melon. I'll be watching!

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
While I am swapping radio's in my 96 - The one I'm buying is brand new (planning to have it in before the KC meet) That was my suggestion to Mike :D

But like it was said above - it would probably haveta get re-wired since the other plug wouldn't work.

-Melon

·
Banned
50 Posts
Just go buy a wiring kit for the non-premium sound stereo and use the black plug from the kit to replace the black plug currently on the harness. The gray one will be the same.

I think this is the plug you need. The wires are the same color, so it's fairly simple to swap it out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
tbird_parts said:
Just go buy a wiring kit for the non-premium sound stereo and use the black plug from the kit to replace the black plug currently on the harness. The gray one will be the same.

I think this is the plug you need. The wires are the same color, so it's fairly simple to swap it out.

[IM]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/supercharged232/tech/2-13-07003-1.jpg[/IMG]
QFT, I had fun with a company sending me the premium harness when I needed the base :p didn't realize walmart had em for less than the ebay store :(

you need the connector in the picture in the quoted post, less than $10 at wal-mart

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Mike I told you that you will need a different plug to make it work in your car. If you dont know what to get I can pick one up for you and install it for you. Not a huge deal. It will take me less then 10 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts