TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So between the 94-95 t bird and the 96-97 t bird which years are easier to do performance mods to (4.6 only)? Or are they about the same amount of work? When I bought my 94 I was looking at a 96 but went with the 94 because it had 105,000 miles vs 160,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
96-97 hands down. Newer/better head castings, already has the 96-04 style intake on it. Not to mention a better transmission and PCM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i should of gotten the one with more miles...figures. So it will cost quite a bit to upgrade to the better 96 stuff?

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
The earlier heads are more prone to oil leaks and the entire top end is incompatible with the composite intake setup seen on the later cars. To upgrade you need donor parts from a 96/97 MN12 including (but not limited to, since I can't recall if this is a comprehensive list) the EGR setup, fuel lines, intake, throttle/cruise cables, plenum, intake tube. Probably $200-$500 for the stuff - depending where you get the parts from and whether you decide to do a PI intake or stay nPI.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, there a 97 t-bird with everything and the car runs and drives for $500 on craigslist it got t boned behind the door

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Man, there a 97 t-bird with everything and the car runs and drives for $500 on craigslist it got t boned behind the door
If you buy it for parts and the gauge surround can be removed in good shape, I've got dibs! :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
If you buy it for parts and the gauge surround can be removed in good shape, I've got dibs! :tongue:
We need to find a perfect one, and have it 3d scanned.

If I ever remove one without breaking it, I'll do it; but I'm not touching mine, without a good reason 'cause they're hard as a rock. :)

So, while we're on the subject; a 94-95 has the EEC and stuff in the same places as a 96-97?

So an eec/harness swap is pretty straightforward?

I see a cherry 95 Cougar on my way to work that never moves; I'd do a heart/spine/brain transplant from Lazarus, if it would be a straight-up swap. :zdevil:

Comments? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
I know there are some differences, e.g. EDIS inside the PCM vs. an external module. Aside from that I don't know.

Strangely enough the gauge surround on the 94 I've removed and reinstalled at least half a dozen times. It's still a 10/10. :zdunno: :confused:

The father in law has a 97 sport... When he decides to retire it I've got a free parts car handy. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
I just read the other thread in the 4.6 forum, very informative.

Poor Lazarus, he's been resurrected twice so far. :facepalm:

:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't like what I'm reading here about the gauge surround. :( I took the one out of my '95 this past weekend (to replace some cluster bulbs) and it just crumbled everywhere I took a screw out, then finally cracked on the part above the steering column. The AC vent was already broken before I got the car.

Sounds like I'm screwed on finding a decent one huh? Should have never touched this damn car and sold it when i had the chance...

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
97 is the worst because it's unique to that year. 94-96 are identical. If you're having THAT much difficulty finding one, I can probably snag you one from the local yard...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just figured most of them (any on a yard) would be as brittle as this one was.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thinking about getting this 97 bird for parts. Besides the intake stuff can I use the tranny and ECM on my 94?are there any other parts I should pull off to upgrade the 94?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts