TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing my exhaust tomorrow.ive got shorty headers and the full mandrel bent exhaust system. i started working on my exhaust today and i couldnt get to the bolts that bolt the manifolds to the downpipe... im just wondering what the easiest way to remove all of the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
5,013 Posts
Thermite or C4.

What? He didn't specify he wanted to put it back ON!

RwP

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not trying to be a smart a$$ when i say this. but i dont think everyone who has installed headers or ported manifolds have pulled their motors.surely someone has done it...i just need to know how

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Loose the garbage shorties, the only thing thats better than stock manifolds is ported stock manifolds or kooks or modded long tubes. Dont waste your time. YOu aren't going to speed up the earths rotation any better with shorties. I just think you should know that.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loose the garbage shorties, the only thing thats better than stock manifolds is ported stock manifolds or kooks or modded long tubes. Dont waste your time.

YOu aren't going to speed up the earths rotation any better with shorties. I just think you should know that.

i didnt ask if they are garbage or not... i just want to know how to install them.and was that comment really necessary? if you have information to contribute to this thread that HELPS me with my exhaust then please share it...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Food for thought. The best way to to get better performance out of exhaust without going to the kooks is to leave the stock manifolds on. 15 years I've had my stock manifolds on and so far so good. There is no gain changing them.

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
Your not going to get the answer you're looking before because it's impossible. No one in all my years here or prior from reading through old threads has successfully accomplished it with a 4.6. Have a look for yourself, there's NO room to do it.

If you want to do it in under 10 hours without pulling the motor or pulling the heads the only way to do it is to not do it.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I put them on mine with the motor still in the car, pain in the azz but it is doable. They ended up cracking a year later though. Long tubes are next on my agenda.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I dropped my K-member when I installed my headers and even then is was a major pain in the butt. I can't even imagine how you'd do it with it still in the car. The bolts right near the motor mounts are next to impossible to get at.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A friend of my attempted an in-car removal. Was not successful, I helped out for an afternoon. There is a lot of good advice here on how to do it properly.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
remove the motor mount to cross member bolts and hoist it up, or drop the K.

·
3,868 Posts
i didnt ask if they are garbage or not... i just want to know how to install them.and was that comment really necessary? if you have information to contribute to this thread that HELPS me with my exhaust then please share it...
I felt that it was called for you obviously didnt search how peoples shorties all crack over time. Just saving you grief and yes they are garbage. Get ported braincoated manifolds. Sell your fshorties for a set of those and you'll actually get a gain. Shorties flow worse than stock so yeah I dont know how else you'd classify them. If you insist on putting on the garbage get a hoist with load leveler and suspend the engine while you lower the K you'll need a particular E18 socket for the K bolts. Goodluck its not personal about your garbage manifolds either Im just stating what many here already know and no one thinks they gained anything from them.

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
I felt that it was called for you obviously didnt search how peoples shorties all crack over time. Just saving you grief and yes they are garbage. Get ported braincoated manifolds. Sell your fshorties for a set of those and you'll actually get a gain. Shorties flow worse than stock so yeah I dont know how else you'd classify them. If you insist on putting on the garbage get a hoist with load leveler and suspend the engine while you lower the K you'll need a particular E18 socket for the K bolts. Goodluck its not personal about your garbage manifolds either Im just stating what many here already know and no one thinks they gained anything from them.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=131931

He did ask here, but like this thread he's looking for 1 yes it will work post among 20 no it will not work posts.

·
3,868 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts